Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

low carb and feeling down?

(4 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 02-Oct-16 13:46:43

Hi all, after a summer of eating just about whatever the heck I fancied I finally hit the wall a week ago feeling very sad and uncomfortable in my own skin. I decided enough was enough and since last week have been low carb, high fat, moderate calories (under tdee). Also started back at the gym for a bit of head space. I was feeling better, sleeping better but then again this weekend I've been right under a cloud again, tearful, angsty and just anxious. I thought the cut in sugar would settle me down, I've been eating around 30g carb a day.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Admittedly it's coming around to that tom but I am far more out of sorts than usual.

BIWI Wed 05-Oct-16 22:50:23

I think you need to give yourself at least a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to low carbing. Especially if it's TOM!

Pootlebug Sun 13-Nov-16 08:58:54

What BIWI said. Also, you need to eat more salt when low carbing - are you doing that?

I would also say sod the calories whilst you get used to low carb, then your body will naturally adjust (and if it doesn't, focus on calories again after a couple of weeks of low carbing once you are more used to it).

maggiethemagpie Tue 10-Jan-17 19:08:15

The problem with counting calories on low carb (IMO) is that it makes you steer away from fat. Fat has 9cals/g so it can make you avoid fatty foods in anything other than small quantities. This can be a mistake on low carb diets as you need fat to fuel ketosis and increase satiety. An excess of protein can be converted to glucose, not as much as carbs by far but still enough to limit the success on a low carb diet.

I don't count calories at all and I embrace fat. I've never had a problem losing weight with this approach.

As for the negative feelings they soon pass. I was grumpy as hell 3 days in but by day 5 I was full of the joys of spring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now