Low carb and anaemia

(3 Posts)
FurryTurnip Tue 14-Jun-16 20:35:19

Hi, my first time on this thread. I am hoping someone might have some words or wisdom (or reassurance) for me.

I was diagnosed with severe anaemia a couple of months back. I am on iron tablets, and try to eat plenty of iron in my (vegetarian) diet.

I am very keen to try a low carb diet as I have about a stone to lose, and find carbs make me very bloated and windy (especially combined with the iron supplements.)

My worry is getting enough iron in my diet. I eat eggs and tofu, as well as the obvious green leafy veg which I know are fine on low carb, but I also rely a lot on nuts, seeds, dried fruit, lentils, pulses etc for iron which I know I'd have to cut out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on iron intake and low carb diets? I don't want to start keeling over! Any other anaemics out there who have done well with this as can give me some tips?

Thanks all!

StuntNun Wed 15-Jun-16 07:17:13

Most low carb plans allow pulses for vegetarians. Nuts and seeds are fine too so long as you stick to the low carb ones. Rose Elliot has a low carb vegetarian cook book which a lot of low carbers recommend (although I haven't used it myself).

FurryTurnip Fri 17-Jun-16 14:00:13

Thanks StuntNun. I will track the book down. Think maybe I was focusing too much on the 'bootcamp' bit which felt very limited, but may be best for me to just do a more gentle low carb so I can keep those extra things in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now