Talk

Advanced search

Ok what am I doing wrong?

(10 Posts)
zikreetdreaming Sun 24-Apr-16 17:10:35

I've been low carbing for three weeks now. I lost initially but in the last couple of days I've actually put on weight. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! I've lost about 3kg overall but have about 20 to lose total so that's not great.

I did have a fair amount of vodka lime and soda on Thursday but I still lost weight that day. I was also eating nuts which I've just realised is a no no. Is it possible the alcohol had a delayed effect?

Today I've had: egg muffins - eggs, cream, spinach, feta, salt and pepper
Shed load of olives
Babybel cheese
Karl Kari (peanut butter but otherwise I think low carb although I can't find banana flower on any carb list!)
One cup of tea with low fat milk (is this enough to cause an issue? I hate tea with full fat milk)
Two diet cokes (zero carb but do these trigger something)

Is there anything I shouldn't be eating on that list? Yesterday I did eat nuts and also had strawberries but I really think I'm doing pretty good.

Any thoughts appreciated!

HapShawl Sun 24-Apr-16 17:19:29

This is what BIWI puts on the boot camp threads at the 3-week mark

"And now for the warning! It's very, very common in weeks 3 and 4 (and sometimes even 5) for weight loss to slow/stop altogether. If this happens to you, please don't be disheartened. It's your body catching up with you! KOKO, and things will soon start to move again - albeit that you're more likely to see smaller weekly losses, around 1-2lbs a week."

It could be that weighing every day isn't the best idea as you will see the rises and falls and react to them rather than seeing overall trends (hopefully downwards!)

BIWI Sun 24-Apr-16 17:21:53

Firstly, it's very common on weeks 3 and 4 of a low carb diet for the weight loss to stop or slow down (sometimes people gain as well), so don't worry on that front. If you've lost 3kg, that's great! That's almost half a stone, so well done.

However, looking at what you've eaten today:

Today I've had: egg muffins - eggs, cream, spinach, feta, salt and pepper

Perfect low carb food. I love these!

Shed load of olives

Great - also good low carb food

Babybel cheese

Karl Kari (peanut butter but otherwise I think low carb although I can't find banana flower on any carb list!)

I have no idea what you mean - what is this?! Peanut butter can be quite carby, so check the label on the jar. Did you mean banana 'flower' or 'flour'?! According to this site, if it's banana flour, this will be too carby

One cup of tea with low fat milk (is this enough to cause an issue? I hate tea with full fat milk)

If it's only one cup, then it shouldn't be a problem - but milk can quickly become carby, especially low fat milk.

Two diet cokes (zero carb but do these trigger something)

The jury is out on artificial sweeteners, but some say that they provoke an insulin spike similar to that of sugar, so can impede weight loss. Best avoided, to be honest.

I did have a fair amount of vodka lime and soda on Thursday but I still lost weight that day. I was also eating nuts which I've just realised is a no no. Is it possible the alcohol had a delayed effect?

Alcohol is the easiest form of fuel for the body, so all the time you've been drinking, your body will be burning this rather than fat or carbs. You will probably have lost weight the next day through dehydration.

Looking at this overall, it could be that you're just eating too many carbs - you might also want to keep an eye on how much dairy that you're having. And definitely avoid the artificial sweeteners.

zikreetdreaming Sun 24-Apr-16 17:36:53

Thanks both. The diet cokes will have to go I think sad The Kari Kari is a Filipino dish and I do mean banana flower! I think it may have been a bit carry (but someone cooked it for me so I felt I had to eat it!).

zikreetdreaming Sun 24-Apr-16 17:42:05

Carry = carby

QforCucumber Sun 24-Apr-16 17:42:48

Are you drinking enough water too?

zikreetdreaming Sun 24-Apr-16 17:44:08

Argh banana flower is 9.9g per 100g so no not good.

BIWI Sun 24-Apr-16 17:44:54

Mind you, I've learnt something, as I didn't even know there was such a thing as banana flour grin

zikreetdreaming Sun 24-Apr-16 18:11:14

It's the flower from the banana plant. I don't live in the UK smile

zikreetdreaming Sun 24-Apr-16 18:14:14

Oh sorry, left water off. About 4/5 pints a day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now