Talk

Advanced search

Whole 30 Support Thread

(28 Posts)
CaveMum Mon 11-Apr-16 18:08:33

As there's been a lot of mention of Whole 30 in chat recently I thought it might be an idea to start a dedicated thread for support and swapping tips.

From the Whole30 website:

"What is the Whole30?
Established by Dallas Hartwig and Melissa Hartwig (of Whole9) in April 2009, the Whole30® is our original nutritional program designed to change your life in 30 days. Think of it as a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system.

Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat—even the “healthy” stuff.

So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you? Strip them from your diet completely. Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health."

More info on the Whole30 website HERE

There's also a Whole30 book Amazon Link, though you can find most of the useful stuff on the website.

Come join us, whether you are on your first program or are a seasoned pro!

CaveMum Mon 11-Apr-16 18:14:02

I'm on Day 9 of my first Whole30.

I came to it after a few friends gave it a go and also after reading that it might be of benefit to me due to my PCOS.

I don't have much weight to lose (starting weight 10st) so am using it more as a "system reset" as DH and I are due to start fertility treatment in the next few months for DC2 (DD was conceived with fertility assistance).

I've found it ok so far, though have had a couple of lightheaded moments. The thing I'm finding hardest is resisting the temptation to weigh myself! I know I've lost some already as my clothes feel looser and my skin is the best it's been in years.

DH is doing it with me as he's got a good stone or so to shift (starting weight 15st).

Anyone else?

clockbuscanada Mon 11-Apr-16 21:32:11

Hello! I'm on day 7 of my first Whole30. I am finding it challenging and expensive, but the results are great, looser clothes, clearer skin, can breathe through my nose at most times once I'm up and out of bed (usually bunged up with chronic sinusitis). I have more energy and most of the time the food is really nice - I love to cook. I feel really motivated about life for the first time in ages as well.

A couple of friends and their DHs did it over January and said it really changed their lives, but weren't totally evangelical about it so I was kind of intrigued.

I've been doing MFP for the last 5 years and would normally have between 900-1200 cals a day, this maintains my weight but I don't lose any, maybe a couple of lbs over the course of a year. I've had tests for thyroid etc but all fine. I did have an ovary removed and my weight problems started when I had Depo for six months (and put on three stone in my first two months, which hasn't budged in 15 years of massively careful dieting). I've tried to get it investigated but just get the usual eat less move more, and I don't want to cut back any further on calories and I am very immobile after SPD that started at 11 weeks pg and is still here six years on.

But I am willing to try something new, so here I am. I want to lose 3 stone, fix my sinusitis, regain a bit of mobility and not spend all my disposable income on fresh veg and dishwasher tablets!

stilllovingmysleep Mon 11-Apr-16 21:36:04

I am on day 29 of Whole30 so about to finish. Thanks for starting this thread (I also saw the original PCOS thread).

I have found it OK in some ways but not so good in others. On the plus side, my cravings for sugar / carbs have 100% disappeared, making me almost forget the existence of these food groups. That is really great as I always would have biscuits at work etc.

On the minus side. The fact that dried fruits / potatoes are allowed has meant (I think, in my case) that even though my cravings have almost completely disappeared, which is great, I haven't lost any substantial weight (just 1-2 kilos at most). With such a restriction in what I'm eating I would have expected a greater weight loss. That said, I do appreciate the lack of cravings. I'm planning on going more seriously low carb in a couple of days (for a month or so) as I think much more low carb than this is usually the best way to reliably lose weight, at least for me.

CaveMum Tue 12-Apr-16 07:29:15

Ooo friends!

It might be an idea to post our meals on here to see if we can inspire each other. As I'm a newbie I'm still sticking to the recipes in the book, I don't feel brave enough to go off piste.

Today's food

Breakfast: steak with roasted sweet potato and Brussels sprouts in balsamic glaze (last nights left overs!)

Lunch: protein salad with chicken

Dinner: chicken with roast potato and slaw

I'm taking an apple and bag of almonds to work in case I feel the need to snack!

I was in the kitchen till 9pm last night prepping veg for meals later in the week as I know I'll be short on time. This is one aspect I am finding tedious!

stilllovingmysleep Tue 12-Apr-16 08:45:54

As I've mentioned, I'm at the end of whole30 (day 30 today). In terms of recipes, I didn't follow particular ones, but ate along the following lines:
for breakfast boiled eggs and / or dried fruit & nuts or fresh fruit (or nothing at all, just black coffee)
for lunch usually a green salad with oil / lemon & some protein eg tuna / chicken. Or leftovers
for dinner lots of fish & less meat, with lots of vegetables.
Easy!
As I said the biggest problems I found with Whole30 has to do with the potatoes & dried fruit which meant my weight loss (over 30 days) was only 1 kilo or at most 1.5 kilo (which comes to 2-3 pounds). That means that this diet is best for maintenance & healthy eating, rather than a weight loss plan. I suppose I lose weight with great difficulty though, so that may be it.
It did though massively reduce cravings / sleepiness so that's great.
No 'magic' health results or skin results that I could see, I am generally suspicious with eating plans that promise all sorts of things that don't sound realistic.

caramelchaos Tue 12-Apr-16 09:52:47

Hello everyone! Thanks cavemum for the thread!
I'm on day 2 of whole 30, I managed to resist the lure of the biscuit tin yesterday but found what I was eating was pretty dull. I look forward to seeing what everyone is eating to give me some inspiration!
I've got a banging headache today, which is no doubt withdrawal from the millions of sugary coffee that I normally drink! My main aim is to get healthy, eat better and shift some weight. I constantly graze so any eating plan that prevents me from doing this will do me some good!

Todays food: Boiled eggs for breakfast
Veggie soup for lunch
Cod fillets with herb/spice rub, jacket potato and salad for dinner.
I've got fruit, cashews and slices of roast beef for snacks if I need it.

cavemum what did you put in your slaw?

CaveMum Tue 12-Apr-16 12:13:29

I used the recipe in the book which is shredded cabbage, grated carrot, cashew nuts in an olive oil and lemon juice dressing.

caramelchaos Tue 12-Apr-16 12:20:19

Yum, thank you! Just made my veggie soup, minus the stock cube because they contain sugar! I'm learning quickly how sugar is added to almost everything

clockbuscanada Tue 12-Apr-16 13:42:57

Good idea to post meals here. I've had a slice of roast beef (Sainsbury's 3 slice pack, which is compliant) and half an avocado for breakfast. Lunch has been the rest of the pack and a huge green salad (lettuce, celery, cucumber, avocado, radish) as well as a coyo dessert (on offer in Tesco atm). For dinner we are going to have a turkey dish a bit like the cacciatore in the Whole30 book, but with turkey instead of chicken and carrots instead of mushrooms. We'll have steamed cauli on the side.

I have a banana on my desk in case I get hungry mid-afternoon, and I've had 2 coffees made with unsweetened almond milk and I've been sipping on a load of sparkling water.

mrwalkensir Tue 12-Apr-16 23:14:18

Hi - thanks for starting this thread. Started something between Whole30 and the blood sugar diet yesterday. Already know fruit/wheat/nuts don't suit me (FODMAPS an issue). Just finished chemo, so have had 4 months of not being able to taste anything sweet anyway - possible advantage! Have had soup for lunch two days running as had stock from chicken on Sunday. Checked out the free veg from Slimming World, so the fridge is full of broccoli, beansprouts, watercress, cabbage, mushrooms, courgettes etc. Resigned to the high protein content being expensive, but basic (ie pretty much pure beef) beefburgers are helping. Also having small ammounts of strong cheddar (lactose intolerant, but that suits me). Using MFP to try and keep the count below 1000kcal as need to shift a couple of stone over the next year. Hoping the blood sugar aspect will help with the symptoms of being thrown into menopause by the chemo too.

CaveMum Wed 13-Apr-16 07:29:03

Welcome aboard mrwalkensir, sorry to hear you've been through chemo, I hope your health is on the up?

Breakfast today is last nights left overs
Lunch is butternut squash soup
Dinner is slow cooker brisket with whatever veg I can be arsed to cook.

I agree that shopping bills have gone up, I'm probably spending £20-£30 more per week on all the extra meat and veg, even after you take out what we'd spend on dairy. However, I figure it's for 4 weeks so not the end of the world.

caramelchaos Wed 13-Apr-16 13:15:32

Hi everyone! Today's food:

Breakfast: Boiled egg
Lunch: Veggie soup and turkey sausages (homemade)
Dinner: Beef stew

Struggling a bit with lack of snacks, I find that i get hungry between lunch and dinner and about 10pm. I've cooked and sliced a gammon joint for later and just had a banana.

MadauntofA Thu 14-Apr-16 19:15:51

Hi, I'm starting this next week - I need to find out what apart from dairy is giving me stomach problems/ headaches and sinusitis. Having given up most dairy and sugar already it shouldn't be too difficult! For those who have finished, what are you doing about reintroducing foods?

mrwalkensir Thu 14-Apr-16 20:52:22

Going to try roasting cauliflower tomorrow as the papers are full of how tasty it is... low carb and whole30! Slightly bemused here as turns out I'm rapidly gaining pounds due to chemo water retention (takes a month or several to go), so I'll really have to not bother about weight (grin)

mrwalkensir Thu 14-Apr-16 20:53:14

hm - smiley face fail there!

MadauntofA Thu 14-Apr-16 20:57:01

Nigella's spicy roast cauliflower and chickpea salad is one of my favourite meals - may not be quite the same without the chickpeas and the harissa paste, but I might try adding in roast aubergine and find another type of spice.

caramelchaos Thu 14-Apr-16 21:50:45

I planned on making spicy roast cauliflower this week but the shop only had one scabby looking cauliflower and I've not been arsed to go back! Maybe next week! I've found today a bit easier, although I think that's because one been busier and not focussing on it so much. I know we're not meant to snack, but I find that if I'm busy and get hungry i start fantasising about toast. I've made almond bars for times like these... Almonds, dates and raisins all food processed then shaped into bars. Nor sure if this counts as cheating?

CaveMum Fri 15-Apr-16 09:51:26

Sorry for the absence, DD has been poorly and I've been rather busy. I'm also approaching the midpoint of the diet which is supposed to be the hardest part, and oh my aren't I feeling it. I could murder a hot crumpet slathered in butter right now!

Today's meals:

Breakfast: poached egg with spinach
Lunch: butternut squash soup and leftover brisket
Dinner: oven baked salmon with veg

The diet does say to try and avoid feeding sugar cravings by eating lots of fruit, but it's easier said than done!

mrwalkensir Fri 15-Apr-16 10:59:16

thanks MadauntofA - will check that recipe out....

clockbuscanada Sat 16-Apr-16 23:01:58

We went out for dinner tonight! So exciting! GBK bunless burgers, corn on the cob and green salad, coleslaw with what we are almost certain was compliant dressing. They have a really good allergy guide that they can bring to your table on request (to help you spot hidden grains and dairy), and they mix all their dressings in house so you can ask for no added sugar.

After having an epic day on day 6, loads of energy, feeling less bloated, totally motivated to get stuff done, I had a massive crash for two days after that, sinuses played up, headaches, had to have a sleep as soon as I got in from work etc. I'm not sure if this is usual for day 7/8 or if something sneaked onto my plate that shouldn't have, but anyway, feeling great again now.

CaveMum Sun 17-Apr-16 17:45:51

I'm in a mid-whole30 slump at the moment sad I've been so tired by 9pm each night for the last 3 or so days. I think we're day 15 today, so over the halfway point, but my gosh have I been tempted to give up in the last couple of days!

MadauntofA Sun 17-Apr-16 20:02:53

Finished day 2, feeling ok, just don't quite feel satisfied. I'm waiting for the crash!

CaveMum Sat 23-Apr-16 20:35:12

How's everyone doing? I'm so glad we're in the home straight, I've found the last day or so incredibly tough and have come close to jacking it in. Not long to go now, Friday is the final day!

CaveMum Sat 30-Apr-16 10:17:19

Well we're finished!

I've lost 11lbs which has shocked me as I only expected 6 or 7 at most.

DH has lost a stone and is really happy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now