Talk

Advanced search

please advise, are there any low carb shakes out there?

(13 Posts)
ChowNowBrownCow Tue 22-Mar-16 16:50:46

I find the eating breakfast thing really difficult, but would like to have a good quality low carb/ protein shake just to keep me going until lunchtime. Do you know if Holland and Barrett do one that you could recommend or anywhere else? I really don't want to spend a fortune on a huge tub in case I don't like the taste. TIA.

Goldenhandshake Wed 23-Mar-16 10:13:46

I really like the protein world vanilla one, tastes like vanilla ice cream, but I think they only come in big tubs. Might be worth checking their site for a tester?

ChowNowBrownCow Wed 23-Mar-16 15:11:59

thankyou golden. I can't see any testers available, but will give it a try.

originalusernamefail Wed 23-Mar-16 15:23:33

Super drug sell protein world it's £20 for a 1.5kg tub I think. I like the chocolate one, not tried vanilla, I could take or leave the strawberry one.

Babinme Wed 23-Mar-16 20:37:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

maggiethemagpie Mon 11-Apr-16 19:16:46

Maxi nutrition promax lean is fairly low carb

PlayNice Wed 13-Apr-16 03:33:48

I don't know if you're still looking, but Bulk Powders is the cheapest I've seen. They're very reasonable at base price, but if you lurk, you can often get 10-30% off. (They do student discounts too if you have any in the house you can nick the code off).

I have their Unsweetened Pure Whey Protein Powder, which is totally fine for me. Definitely not delicious, but not rancid either. It just tastes like watery milk. It's 5g carbs per 100g and 1.5g per 30g serving.

If you want something tastier, they do the standard fancy flavours too (and actually do tasting packs, I think), but they all obviously have sweeteners in.

I definitely don't feel guilty about using it while LC. I bought 5kg of the unsweetened stuff for £31.50 (as I got 10% off). That makes it, I think, under 19p per serving, which I'm pretty happy with.

If I compare it to my other LC breakfast of choice (2 eggs), it's the same in calories, but over double the protein, and about 1/3 cheaper if I'm going for free range, which I always do. Well worth the little smidge of carbs, in my book.

PlayNice Wed 13-Apr-16 03:38:51

I find the unsweetened one very inoffensive (and sometimes add a bit of my own vanilla extract), but if you are still looking, you can try 500g of 5 flavours for £39.99 here (so 2.5kg in total (and you can probably find a discount code for at least 10% off)).

It becomes even cheaper when you buy more than the small 500g pack, but I have been very tempted by this offer, to try flavours like apple crumble & custard, rhubarb and custard, chocolate cookie and chocolate mint. One day!

P.s. I swear I don't work for Bulk Powders! I just had a fair look into this when I was going to buy mine.

PlayNice Wed 13-Apr-16 03:39:41

www.bulkpowders.co.uk/pure-whey-protein-taster-bundle.html

sweetheart Tue 26-Apr-16 10:34:26

I make my own shake - 250 unsweetened almond milk, 80g total greek yog and berries. Usually comes out about 9g of carbs. The forever living one for example is 6g carbs per scoop anyway

sweetheart Tue 26-Apr-16 10:34:46

or you could swap the berries out for vanilla

Babylove2015 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:41:02

Atkins vanilla powderis low carb, obviously. I'm not a vanilla shake person yet I love this made on fridge cold water. It's very creamy and tastes like a thick shake. I sometimes add berries to it. The ready made Atkins strawberry shakes are nice but a bit pricey.

Magpiemagpie Sat 01-Oct-16 07:24:41

My protein is the one that use
They have a salted caramel one that is gorgeous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now