Talk

Advanced search

Low carb chowder recipe please!

(4 Posts)
Gladysandtheflathamsandwich Sun 08-Nov-15 21:17:33

I have found quite a few online but I am not sure that they will work.

Chowder is very popular in our house but due to the fact that I am feeding 7, it isnt a cheap meal, so I dont want to waste fish in something that isnt very nice. We dont eat meat or fish every night, so when we do I make sure that it is a really nice meal that everyone can eat, frankly I cant afford to waste anything.

I dont think that cauliflower will work as a substitute for spuds that some recommend, its got too strong a flavour.

Any recommendations?

Gladysandtheflathamsandwich Sun 08-Nov-15 21:19:32

Oh and also a low carb (but not expensive) alternative for something I can eat pate on/with or should I stick with home made melba toast if I use one slice of bread instead of 2?

pootlebug Thu 12-Nov-15 13:34:43

No idea on chowder….

But for pate, I'd recommend:

Celery stalks with a thick spread of pate
Little gem lettuce
This bread if you must have bread - www.thelondoner.me/2014/03/mums-low-carb-bread.html It keeps a week in the fridge in a sealed container, you can toast it, and I find even non-low-carbers will eat it.

Gcalgske Thu 19-Nov-15 14:12:17

Hi Gladys

Melba toast is not ok on boot camp. There's a spreadsheet with the rules pinned to the top of the weekly chat post. You need to cut out all bread. Lowering your carbs is a good idea but if you want to follow boot camp then no bread. grin

As for chowder cauliflower does make a good sub, it's amazing how you tastes change when you cut carbs. Personally I really didn't like the stuff before but now it's one of my favourites and very versatile. I wouldn't say it's the same as a potato chowder, but I like it. I'd probably reccomend you make a small batch to try and see if you like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now