Talk

Advanced search

2 weeks in, 0 weight lost, what have I done wrong?

(11 Posts)
EcclefechanTart Sat 27-Jun-15 08:55:20

Reposting here as much more traffic than other board...

I am trying to do vegetarian low carb and am two weeks in. 8 years ago, I lost a lot of weight very successfully doing this, but post-DC have put it all back on and then some. It's not working now though. I weighed 105.5kg when I started the diet two weeks ago, 104.9kg last week, and 105.4kg today - very frustrating! If i sketch out what I ate last week (this week was almost identical), can anyone see what I've done wrong please?

Monday
Breakfast: mushroom omelette
Lunch: Greek salad (leaves, olives, onion, cucumber, tomato, feta)
Snack: small pot almonds
Dinner: cheese soufflé with leaf salad, plain live yoghurt with 5-6 raspberries

Tuesday:
Breakfast: plain live yoghurt, 4-5 strawberries
Lunch: hummous, edamame beans, seaweed salad
Snack: olives
Dinner: aubergine stir fry, plain yoghurt

Wednesday
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
Lunch: salad (grated carrot, peppers, leaves, cucumber)
Snack: Atkins chocolate bar (2.9g net carbs)
Dinner: 2 veggie sausages (<2g carbs each), leaf salad, edamame beans, peas, sunflower seeds

Thursday
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, slice of cheddar
Snack: live yoghurt with small handful almonds
Lunch: fennel soup
Dinner: cheese-stuffed mushrooms, asparagus, live yoghurt with 5-6 raspberries

Friday
Breakfast: mushroom omelette
Lunch: mozzarella and avocado salad
Snack: Atkins chocolate bar
Dinner: no dinner, fell asleep at 7pm as tired

I thought the weight would be falling off but nope. Aside from anything else, this is just a lot LESS food than I was eating before as I don't feel as hungry doing low carb. Oh, and I've been walking a minimum of 10,000 steps a day apart from one day where I managed about 8,000. I must be missing something. Grrrr!

Archduke Sat 27-Jun-15 09:01:02

Well you sound like you're doing the right things. All that veg is excellent. Are your portions massive?

Sorry I'm not much help.

CobbOnn Sat 27-Jun-15 12:43:42

Maybe add more fat- butter and oily salad dressing. Perhaps try and cut back on dairy too.

Can you lose the berries and almonds too?

Are you drinking enough water. 3 litres a day. Do you drink tea- the milk adds extra carbs.

Hummus is quite carby too. Sure there are lots of vegetarian recipes on the recipe thread which you could try.

Koko, you'll get there

EcclefechanTart Sat 27-Jun-15 15:02:22

No, my portion sizes aren't too huge (certainly much less than I was eating before I started low carb!) although definitely not tiny. I can't understand how I'm not losing weight!

I know berry fruits, hummous and almonds aren't ideal for the first two weeks, but I'm really struggling for vegetarian low carb snacks. Meals I can plan just fine, but quick snacks are hard. Any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks for the replies!

CobbOnn Sun 28-Jun-15 08:14:04

I see what you mean. Vegetarian snacks are hard to think of. What about guacamole instead of hummus. Alpro yogurt- coconut flavour is lovely and its low carb. Perhaps if you plan for less cheese on your meals then you could have the cheese for snacks instead. Have you tried a bpc? I was surprised how quickly I stopped needing to snack and now I miss breakfast altogether, a coffee with cream keeps me going. And k drink most of my water before lunch, which also helps keep me full and just focused on water.

CobbOnn Sun 28-Jun-15 09:10:53

Forgot to say olives are a great snack too.

CookieMonstersCousin Sun 28-Jun-15 23:52:04

Have you tried cutting down on the yogurt and increasing the fat intake? Dairy causes me to stall apart from butter. Yogurt has lots of carbs too. Have you tried coconut oil- either off the spoon or in a fat bomb?? There are lots of recipes on line for these. I blitz some coconut oil with nuts, seeds and a v. little bit of dried fruit into a paste and then press it into a bar to chill in the fridge for a kind of 'naked'/'trek' bar thing as a snack.

EcclefechanTart Mon 29-Jun-15 08:02:40

Coconut oil as a snack? Is that actually at all pleasant? It sounds a little...extreme. I'm worried that if I find this way of eating too depriving or too off-the-wall, I won't stick to it. But I'm willing to give it a go!

"Nakd" style bars sound better - but aren't dried fruit massively high in sugar?

CookieMonstersCousin Mon 29-Jun-15 22:48:12

the coconut oil is much nicer than it sounds in my opinion- it isn't too coconut-ey in flavour and the texture doesn't coat your mouth like butter can do. Its good to fry with too.
From my understanding of LC eating to make it really successful it does need to be high fat and low carbs as your body doesn't process the fat in a way which causes the insulin to dip and cause fat to be stored..blah blah blah and most people would get their fat from animal sources which wouldn't work in your case so easily.

Egg mayonnaise would work for you too and increase your fat levels. Or even whipped cream with some berries or cocoa powder if diary isn't aproblem for you.

As for my 'bars' I only add about 15-20% of total amount of stuff I put in the processor- just enough to add a bit of flavour and texture usually dates or dried pears but yup full of carbs!! And I only have a relatively small piece a day (compared to my previous huge sugar addiction this is a massive step forward).

Good luck!

BIWI Thu 02-Jul-15 08:29:50

You need more fat, I think. And it's difficult if you're veggie to keep your carbs low - but I'm wondering if you need more protein as well?

If you're low carbing successfully you shouldn't be hungry between meals, so you won't need snacks. But hunger suggests not enough fat/protein.

How much water are you drinking?

EcclefechanTart Thu 02-Jul-15 11:58:10

GALLONS of water! I don't think that's a problem. But you might be right that I'm not getting enough fat. I am getting quite a bit of protein from eggs and cheese I think (much more than I was pre-LC, anyway, as I'm having at least two eggs a day).

Anyway, I have now seen some weight loss so I am feeling more positive! Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now