Talk

Advanced search

Snacks on Low-carb bootcamp

(5 Posts)
HemanOrSheRa Tue 30-Dec-14 21:11:34

I'm seriously thinking of giving the bootcamp a go in Jan. I think I understand the main meal stuff - getting small amounts of carbs from low carb veg whilst 'filling up' on protein and fats - which turns everything upside down for me! I've seen the list and read all the info on the various pages here. I'm a bit confused about snacking. Mainly because I've always followed 'diets' that encourage snacking on lots of fruit. Am I right in thinking that it's ok to snack on cheese, chicken, ham, eggs and low carb veggies like celery and lettuce? I've had a look on the recipe thread and seen things like the halloumi and bacon bites and cheesy muffiny type things. Are these ok for snacking?

I really don't cope well with feeling hungry at all and can eat vast amounts of carbs (free foods on SW for example) but by the same token after reading about low carbing I think that is what is causing my problems with dreadful feelings of hunger and overeating. If that makes sense?

Any advice appreciated!

miffy49 Wed 31-Dec-14 12:55:54

If you low carb according to Biwi's rules you will kiss goodbye to hunger and the constant need to snack. Its very liberating after years of S World believe me!

You start off on 3 good meals a day. BNCamp rules! Many of us drop to 2 later but 3 is the rule to start. You can snack if you're hungry but it must be something of the extensive BC food list. After a few days the need will go because your body will be happily burning fat.

HemanOrSheRa Wed 31-Dec-14 17:17:14

Thanks Miffy I'm currently reading Neris and India's Idiot Proof Diet. Very interesting. I've done slimming world on and off for a few years. I have lost quite a bit of weight on it. But have ground to a complete halt. I can't help but think that stuffing my face with pasta, rice and spuds to stop myself from being hungry is the problem. I can eat platefuls of pasta and I know it will only work for a while before I'm ravenous again. But the thought of not eating these things TERRIFIES me, if I'm honest!

I think low carbing will work well with DP as well. He doesn't need to lose weight but wouldn't care if he never ate a potato again and hates pasta and rice. Meal planning would be easier.

I'm going to experiment celeriac 'chips' to go with my steak this evening. If these go down well then I'm in! I might need a bit of help C&P ing my name to the list though!

BIWI Thu 01-Jan-15 18:24:50

As Miffy says, once you're into low carbing, you will find that you're just not hungry between meals and you won't need to snack! This is because your blood sugar levels will be stable. In fact, you may find yourself forgetting to eat sometimes. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's one of the most amazing benefits/side-effects of low carbing.

One of the key tenets of Bootcamp, though, is 'if you're hungry, eat!' - in which case eat low carb snacks, so things like cheese, olives, ham. When you've done the first two weeks of Bootcamp you can introduce nuts and seeds (in moderation) which are also good snacks.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 03-Jan-15 12:23:50

Thanks BIWI!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now