Talk

Advanced search

Calorie counting

(5 Posts)
Jo4694 Sun 09-Nov-14 22:02:54

hi

I'm new to this. One week in I feel fatter and am too scared to weigh myself.

Yesterday I thought maybe all this fat means I am eating way more calories than I am burning. So I logged my day on myfitnesspal and was shocked at how many I had racked up. Over 2000!

Am I meant to be counting calories? And if yes, how can you keep calories at deficit but be eating all this fat.

SayraT Mon 10-Nov-14 09:35:02

Hi jo, on this WOE you don't need to count anything. At the very beginning you can count your carbs if you need to to get a feel for how many carbs are in a portion of something.

If you have been eating LCHF you are very unlikely to have put on weight. I have occasionally looked at my calorie intake on MFP and it is sometimes between 2000-3000 calories per day. Since eating this way I have lost weight (~2 stone something), body fat (47.5% down to 43.0%) and inches (size 20 - size 16).

Prior to this WOE I was doing CC and eating between 1200-1500 cals per day and not losing any weight, on this WOE I eat far more (calorie wise) but lose weight.

Jo4694 Mon 10-Nov-14 10:27:24

Thanks Sayra that is really helpful.

I think it's hard to get your head around the concept as you are eating so many foods you are conditioned to think of as bad (butter, cream, dressings, oils etc) and which make it so much more bearable.

I am used to only doing ridiculously restrictive horrid diets to get results, but thet are torturous and unsustainable.

I will keep doing what I am doing and not worry about calories then.

I think I will try to lessen cheese this week. Last week was my first week and I ate tons of cheese, and have a sneaky feeling my body really holds onto cheese.

I guess I have nothing to lose as nothing else is working for me. As long as I dont gain weight.

I am also usually really active but the last two months my gym membership has been on hold and I am finding it so hard to get motivated to exercise.

BIWI Mon 10-Nov-14 13:30:39

Jo - have you read Bootcamp rules? That would really help you! Bootcamp was designed to make low carbing as easy as possible, which means no weighing or counting of anything. And certainly not calories!

It's really hard going against the advice you've been given for all these years about not eating fat, but I can assure/reassure you that it really does work.

BIWI Mon 10-Nov-14 13:31:42

Oh, and if you go and have a look at the Bootcamp spreadsheet (always linked in the first post on each weekly Bootcamp chat thread), you'll see a resources tab at the bottom. Lots of links to blogs/stuff to read/videos that will explain low carbing a bit more thoroughly for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now