Talk

Advanced search

Low carb and excersize?

(3 Posts)
BellaTata Tue 04-Nov-14 09:02:12

Hi, sorry for all the questions here there and everywhere.

So I plan to go to the gym this evening, I usually do an hour on the treadmill then do a fitness class, Zumba, legs bums and tums etc. my diet today consists of mainly protien but I'm worried I won't have much energy for the gym.. Is there any carbs that are okay or any low carbs snacks that would give me enough energy for a big work out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BIWI Sat 08-Nov-14 22:10:14

How long have you been low carbing? If you've been doing it for a while, you should have converted your body from carb-burning to fat-burning, which means you will have plenty of fuel to keep you going when you're exercising.

You should be eating a high fat diet, rather than a high protein one, and this is what will give you the energy that you need.

Don't revert to carbs for a snack as you'll just undo the good work you've done so far!

I go to the gym, to see my trainer, twice a week for an hour, and I usually go in a fasted state. Energy isn't a problem.

pootlebug Mon 10-Nov-14 18:24:06

I've been low carbing for 6 weeks. I started the low carb to coincide with two weeks off exercise after a busy summer of triathlons and a half marathon, but then have got back to it. Initially it's tough and you lack energy for high intensity stuff, and stamina for long stuff. Gradually you adapt - I had no problem with a fairly tough interval session last week or a 16.5km run on Sunday.

I really really recommend eating 'The Art and Science of low carbohydrate performance' www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Science-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716 for info on exercising and low carbing.

Also worth checking out stuff like Peter Attia's The Eating Academy website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now