Talk

Advanced search

Most like potatoes: Swede or cauliflower?

(15 Posts)
Username12345 Wed 01-Oct-14 14:26:54

Want to make buttery mash. Not sure which is best. I have simple tastes and never tried swede.

pootlebug Wed 01-Oct-14 14:29:52

Cauliflower or celeriac makes the best mash imo. For either I cook with a small amount of chicken stock, add double cream or creme fraiche towards the end of cooking, then bung the whole lot in a blender (tip out a bit of the cooking stock before adding the cream if you realise you have too much). Plenty of white pepper (there should be enough salt from the stock).

EugenesAxe Wed 01-Oct-14 14:29:56

Swede with butter is yummy but never mashed cauliflower. I think going down the root vs. brassica (I think?) route that swede would be a better swap.

miffy49 Wed 01-Oct-14 14:36:27

I think it depends what you want to eat it with. Swede has a stronger flavour but its lovely with butter and cream and a good dash of black pepper. The cream takes it to a new level. smile

I'm not crazy about cauli mash as it always seems wetter. I like it better if it has a good helping of grated parmesan stirred in.

Just try them all until you find a favourite. smile

EugenesAxe Wed 01-Oct-14 19:47:21

I meant I've never mashed cauliflower (so I can't comment).

Yama Wed 01-Oct-14 19:49:56

I've never mashed cauliflower. Only ever make rice or roast it.

I loved mashed swede and use it for cottage pie all the time.

My kids will eat mashed swede but won't touch cauliflower with some - else's barge pole.

BestIsWest Wed 01-Oct-14 21:16:38

I discovered today you can microwave a whole swede in 4 minutes. ( so long as you score the outside to stop it exploding. Then mash with butter. Mmmm

BIWI Wed 01-Oct-14 21:27:51

Swede makes lovely 'chips' as well. They don't go crispy like potatoes, but they are really tasty.

BestIsWest Wed 01-Oct-14 21:30:35

Can you do swede in the oven potato wedge style? Would this work? How long?

BIWI Wed 01-Oct-14 21:45:47

You can - probably takes about the same time as potato wedges. I use lots of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper, and sometimes add some chilli flakes. (I add chilli flakes to a lot of things. There's nothing that can't be improved by the addition of chilli flakes, IMVHO grin)

SayraT Thu 02-Oct-14 21:44:25

I like mashed celeriac, with lots of butter and some cream. Yummy smile

theDudesmummy Sun 23-Nov-14 17:30:54

I have swede bake, made just like a potato bake in the oven, with cream and chicken stock.

MassaAttack Tue 30-Dec-14 17:58:07

I had no idea I could eat swede! Is it as ok as cauliflower, carb-wise?

miffy49 Wed 31-Dec-14 12:51:44

I think its around 4gr per 100g so it scrapes into the under 4gr range. Cauli is a bit less but I find cauli mash can be a bit wet even well drained. Swede mash with cream and black pepper is lovely and it makes a delicious sub for roasties.

MassaAttack Thu 01-Jan-15 15:23:46

Thanks miffy. I bloody love mashed swede anyway (and cauliflower) so this has cheered me no end smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now