Maryz Wed 07-May-14 15:09:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Maryz Wed 07-May-14 15:11:10

spamm Wed 07-May-14 15:24:19

Thanks Maryz - very helpful.

I agree with the Almond Milk question - I would like to know too.

And about carrots - can I use grated carrot instead of rice, or do I have to investigate other options. Have not yet tried cauliflower rice, but I wandered about chili (no beans) on grated carrot, which appeals to me.

pingufan Wed 07-May-14 16:53:10

Is lazy garlic and lazy chilli in the jars ok?

Can I roast courgette leeks, and swede etc in olive oil in the oven?

pingufan Wed 07-May-14 17:47:07

Oh and tuna, should it be in oil or brine?

antimatter Wed 07-May-14 18:32:10

looks like raw carrots aren't OK as they are 10 g carbohydrates per 100g

Maryz Wed 07-May-14 19:05:38

Advertisement

PseudoBadger Wed 07-May-14 19:15:20

Tuna should be in oil, but brine ok if you add fat like mayo.

Prawns are fine.

Lazy garlic etc should be ok as it's in oil isn't it? But check carb count, but unlikely to use much of it I imagine?

Maryz Wed 07-May-14 19:19:08

PseudoBadger Wed 07-May-14 19:30:40

Hmmm. Personally I would put tomato purée in bolognese or stew but not have ketchup on the side of a dish. Does that help?

Maryz Wed 07-May-14 19:35:59

antimatter Wed 07-May-14 20:37:00

I think sauce is OK - 5 g/100g carb content - but when using 1 tbsp it would give maybe 20g max?

pingufan Thu 08-May-14 12:13:10

Is a home made salad dressing ok - olive oil & apple cider vinegar mixed with salt & pepper?

Tuna in tins - if I use the one in sunflower oil should I add mayo too - still a bit scared of overdoing the oils

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 08-May-14 12:17:15

Oh this is very useful, this low carbing does take getting used to. I still don't get why butter is fine and to be encouraged, yet dairy can prohibit weight loss.

[baffled]

Glad about the prawns though!

PseudoBadger Thu 08-May-14 13:37:33

I think dairy is down to the individual, I don't restrict dairy as I still lose with it. If I couldn't have it then BC wouldn't work for me!
I add mayo to my tuna in oil Pingu.

BIWI Fri 09-May-14 23:11:17

From Wiki:

As butter is essentially just the milk fat, it contains only traces of lactose, so moderate consumption of butter is not a problem for the lactose intolerant

LittleMissDisorganized Sat 10-May-14 04:06:20

Homemade dressing is fine as long as you don't use balsamic vinegar.

Personally during bootcamp I have used soya/hazelnut/almond milk - the unsweetened versions. Soya cream is nice in coffee and higher in fat.

BIWI Sat 10-May-14 07:06:40

Alpro's unsweetened almond milk is 0.1g carbs per 100ml, so it's very low in carbs. But make sure you're drinking the unsweetened one!

BIWI Sat 10-May-14 07:09:30

However

These are the ingredients of Alpro's Almond Milk:

Water, ALMOND (2%), Calcium (Tri-Calcium Phosphate), Sea Salt, Stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Vitamins (Riboflavin (B2), B12, E, D2), May contains traces of HAZELNUTS

So it's not exactly a fresh, natural, unprocessed product!

BIWI Sat 10-May-14 07:11:12

pingufan you have to stop being scared of fat! Fat doesn't make you fat. Fat doesn't give you heart disease. Fat does keep you full and gives you energy.

petalsandstars Sat 10-May-14 07:14:00

I had a tiny bit of ketchup and it tasted far too sweet

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 10-May-14 07:19:19

Everything tastes sweet! I'm orf to BIG SHOPS today to get the more esoteric things, if it stops raining.

magso Sat 10-May-14 15:29:28

Is cocoa powder (small teaspoon in hot water whisked with butter and coconut oil) OK? Its bitter like dark chocolate, but I like it. But I don't know if cocoa is OK?
Also is lactose free milk OK? (I'm missing my hot milky drinks - I don't drink coffee or standard tea)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in