Talk

Advanced search

"Did you know about this awesome thing you can buy from..."

(63 Posts)
Gerrythetootallgiraffeswife Sat 18-Jan-14 09:29:38

Can we have a thread on this? I see great stuff on the main thread (someone mentioned cooked belly pork slices) but, like recipes, it moves so quickly that I lose things and can't keep up!

I should probably start with something I've discovered. But I haven't... I just steal other people's ideas. But I'm off to lidl today so looking for inspiration

hopebeyondreason Sat 18-Jan-14 10:22:11

Celeriac - has been a revelation to me, as I've never tasted it before. I luvs it!

heliumheart Sat 18-Jan-14 12:17:36

Brilliant idea for a thread. smile

I'll be back later when I'm not on my phone to add mine.

Lighthousekeeping Sat 18-Jan-14 13:57:34

Is there a recipe thread where we can type in the dish? I've got a small sad looking cauliflower I'm thinking of ways to cook it.

ihatethecold Sat 18-Jan-14 14:03:08

Cauli mash is great, boil the mash, then grate it.
I freeze it if I've made too much

Custardo Sat 18-Jan-14 14:04:51

i adore low carb megastore mama lupe wraps (3 carbs each) and bread (2 carbs midget slices though)

Gerrythetootallgiraffeswife Sat 18-Jan-14 14:30:51

So today's lidl shop I discovered:

Feta stuffed olives in oil
The famous creamy yoghurt
Cheese coleslaw
Whole skin on chicken legs (usually can only find them separate thighs/drumsticks. 4 legs for less than £3!)

RestingActress Sat 18-Jan-14 14:51:56

Diabetic chocolate, not too much though as it gives you really bad wind

New Covent Garden Mushroom soup is about 6g of carbs, I know soup is super easy to make but there are some nights where I'm just too busy can't be arsed

RestingActress Sat 18-Jan-14 14:55:46

The thing I find difficult is the low carb equivalent of a supermarket sandwich meal deal, my solution for this is a pot of sandwich filler like egg and bacon; prawn mayo; chicken ceasar salad - the sainsburys ones around 6g carb per serving; or a chicken portion from the rotisserie counter.

FourArms Sat 18-Jan-14 15:23:31

I had a lovely pot of crayfish tails in a dill and mustard mayo and a small packet of mini chorizo sausages. Nice on the go snacks from Waitrose service station shops.

restingactress - I tend to buy a salad bowl and ham / prawns / no drain tuna / mini cheeses etc for supermarket sandwich alternative.

teaandthorazine Sat 18-Jan-14 15:49:09

M&S do some great snacky lunch stuff that suits LC, though obviously not cheap. I particularly like their pot of feta, asparagus and chargrilled courgette in a very garlicky olive oil dressing. Their pots of prawns and mayo, or the divine grilled tikka prawns and calamari with yogurt dip are all v good and about 3G carb per pot. Plus packs of cooked chicken/ham/salami, olives, cheese...all good. Not the cheapo option though, but good in an emergency.

I've raved before on LC threads about packs of smoked duck breast from Lidl. Bloody gorgeous in a lunch time salad. And Moser Roth chocolate (post Bootcamp only!) in little individual packs, get the dark stuff, great for a treat after dinner.

FourArms Sat 18-Jan-14 15:56:15

Anything good in Aldi?

Notsoskinnyminny Sat 18-Jan-14 18:21:13

Lighthousekeeping this is delicious but don't slice the leeks to thinly and do your prep first, my kitchen looked like a battlefield because I tried to do bits while other bits were cooking grin

SayraT Sat 18-Jan-14 19:32:18

I know that others have been adding orange oil to yogurt and I bought some in Sainsburys today, they also had rose water which I bought. I think that will be good in yogurt or to flavour low-carb ice cream.

Lighthousekeeping Sat 18-Jan-14 19:56:06

What yoghurt are you using?

SayraT Sat 18-Jan-14 21:19:50

I use the one from lidl, it comes in a big tub. I think others are using Total. Those are the lowest carb (I think).

BIWI Sun 19-Jan-14 12:56:42

Here's the recipe thread, Lighthousekeeping

There's a recipe on there, I think, for spicy cauliflower rice/couscous

BIWI Sun 19-Jan-14 13:04:17

Actually, there wasn't a recipe for it, but there is now grin

PseudoBadger Sun 19-Jan-14 18:43:04

Crispy bacon slices from M&S

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 19-Jan-14 18:46:44

Turnips. Mashed mostly. They are yum, although that's from someone who loves Brussels/swede etc. I had never tried them before.

EwanHoozami Sun 19-Jan-14 18:49:52

kale crisps! Put shredded kale in a baking tray with groundnut oil and salt and maybe some chilli flakes and bake until it goes crispy. Woof.

More of a recipe than a thing to buy but still.

EwanHoozami Sun 19-Jan-14 18:51:08

Cauli - you can roast this with groundnut and chilli too. Also with some cumin seeds. Can you see a theme appearing chez Hoozami?

FrillyMilly Sun 19-Jan-14 19:06:24

I buy big pots of alpro yoghurt, they are 2.1g carbs per 100g. I get almond or hazelnut milk instead of cows milk. I'm not keen on black coffee. I have to get these from Asda though. From aldi I get the moser Roth chocolate, cottage cheese, halloumi, portobello mushrooms. The premium coleslaw is delicious and 2.8g carbs per 100g.

trashcanjunkie Mon 20-Jan-14 00:52:50

ewan kale crisps sound right up my street. What gas mark are you cooking at and how long?

pootlebug Mon 20-Jan-14 11:58:25

Saw diabetic chocolate mentioned above..... check the carb count carefully - often it's just as high in carbs as normal chocolate but just slower-acting carbs. Very dark chocolate (85 or 90% cocoa) is generally lower carb and infinitely tastier. And because it's so rich tasting you can only manage a square or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now