(969 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

somerandomfucker Sat 20-May-17 18:04:06

Super easy creamy mushroom sauce
Fry onions in butter
Add 1 heaped teaspoon paprika (or to your own taste)
Huge dollop of double cream
Mix
Serve with any meat, fish, tofu etc
Yum!

ImALurkerNotAFighter Fri 19-May-17 21:32:11

*then sprinkle with chives.
Can use brandy and (carefully) flame instead of wine, makes it richer and sweeter.

ImALurkerNotAFighter Fri 19-May-17 21:26:25

Chicken liver stroganoff

Bear with me. I know many people hate livers, but this doesn't taste particularly livery. Chicken livers are very cheap, and this tastes wonderful (and is pretty high fat)

400g chicken livers
2 large eschalon shallots
125g mushrooms
Approx 125g butter blush
100ml double cream
Teaspoon paprika
Quarter to one teaspoon chilli powder
Tablespoon chopped chives
Splash dry white wine

Take a chunk of butter and fry the shallots and mushrooms. When soft take off the heat and put onto a plate. Trim any connective tissue and pat dry the chicken livers. Heat another chunk of butter and before it's fully melted turn the heat up high, add and crisp the livers. When almost fully cooked (I like pink livers so 8-10 minutes, more like 15 minutes if you like well done) add the cooked shallots and mushrooms and another chunk of butter. Cook for a couple of minutes then take the pan off the heat. Add the paprika and chilli powder, season well. Add the double cream and season well. Combine over a low heat.
Serve.
It's awesome.
2 very large or 3 moderate portions.
Based on 2 large portions, per portion:
6.6 g carbs, 161.6 g of fat, 48g protein.

stilllovingmysleep Sun 14-May-17 10:06:15

I made a great low carb savoury cheesecake recently. Recipe by Jules Clancy (stone soup blog, which has many low carb recipes)

Slice 3 medium courgettes
Roast them for 20 min approximately until soft, just drizzled with some olive oil. When they are softened, add some fresh mint leaves
Meanwhile, add to the processor 250 gr Philadelphia cream cheese, 200 gr feta cheese and 3 eggs. Whisk. There will still be some small feta lumps
Pour the cheese mixture into a springform tin (make sure it won't leak, eg wrap with foil) and on top add the courgettes
Bake at 200C for about 15 min or more until the edges are nicely browned.

momofgirls Sun 07-May-17 12:25:28

Guacamole recipe link

www.taste.com.au/recipes/guacamole-2/178cabba-7dc9-4fdc-ba1c-0bfe01c5079f

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 03-May-17 17:03:53

Sour Cream and Chive Crackers aka The Best Low Carb Crackers Ever

I use American measuring cups for this.

1 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup sour cream
Chives
Salt and pepper

(Not having any egg in it makes them really crisp and crunchy)

Mix the almonds and the sour cream together
Chuck in loads of chopped chives
Season generously
Mix with your hands until it comes together in a 'dough'
Plop it between two pieces of parchment paper
Roll out until it's thin, depending on how thick/thin you like your crackers
Remove top sheet of paper
Mark the dough into squares using a knife
Put it on a baking tray (still on the paper) and bake at 100 degrees for about an hour until they're golden.

Pugmummy87 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:53:51

Marking my place, plan to start lcfh tomorrow.

JimBullardBullard Mon 17-Apr-17 23:34:50

What an amazing thread! I started HFLC today.

Dogblep Thu 23-Mar-17 18:26:07

[[https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/02/cauliflower-cake-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi This] is an amazing cauliflower cake by Ottolenghi with cheese, eggs and herbs. I'm sure you could sub the flour for ground almonds or leave them out. I have to try it!

juggles6 Fri 17-Mar-17 15:13:00

Marking

BursarsFrogs Sat 11-Mar-17 13:58:02

Adding a linseed and parmesan pizza base from www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/zero-carb-flax-meal-pizza-crust.html

I've tried a few low carb pizzas, and this has had the best consistancy to my liking. It's solid enough to eat slices by hand, even when you make it quite thin.

LOW CARB FLAX & PARMESAN PIZZA CRUST
Author: Mellissa Sevigny

INGREDIENTS
1 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
(I added a drop of water, as it felt a little dry when mixing)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Mix the flax meal and Parmesan (or Romano) cheese in a medium bowl. Add the eggs and stir until a dough is formed. It will be sticky, let it sit for about 5 minutes or so until it's easier to work with.
2. Wet your hands with water to help keep the dough from sticking to them and press onto greased cookie sheet about ⅓ inch thick in a circle. You should get about a 10 inch crust out of it - if it's a lot smaller than that you are making it too thick.
3. Bake in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven for 8 minutes. Remove.
4. Add toppings. Bake for another 15 minutes at 350. Remove.
5. Cool. Eat. Swoon.

I prebaked it a bit longer than 8 minutes, as it just looked like it could do with a bit more.

Gandt69 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:49:33

Marking

Hattieboomboom Fri 24-Feb-17 11:19:41

These: www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51638/cauliflower-grilled-cheese-recipe/

CiderWithRosy Thu 09-Feb-17 21:51:35

Marking thread!

momofgirls Fri 03-Feb-17 20:19:17

Recipe for microwave broccoli lemon and garlic. Easy & quick.

Here's a recipe for Microwave Lemon Garlic Broccoli from Food.com: www.food.com/recipe/microwave-lemon-garlic-broccoli-132765?nl=email_share

LovelyBath77 Sun 22-Jan-17 12:08:43

Marking thread.

2kids2dogsnosense Mon 28-Nov-16 09:14:30

Just marking this valuable thread so that I will never lose it. I hope it has permanence on the forum.

Tempocalypse Sun 20-Nov-16 19:44:19

Low carb Yorkshire pudding (adapted from BBC good food)
140g plain flour
200ml unsweetened soy milk
4 large eggs.
Salt to taste
Weigh out flour and beat together soy milk and eggs. Gradually whisk wet ingredients into dry and chill.
Heat oil (sunflower, rapeseed, vegetable etc) in a muffin tin (or similiar ) in the oven at 220-240 degrees for at least 20 minutes. Add a small amount of batter (approx 2 tbsp) and leave to rise with the oven door shut and until thoroughly brown.
Crispy, lovely, and couldn't tell the difference between these and those made with cows milk.
Makes 22 yorkshires at 4.85g carbs each

PlayNice Tue 08-Nov-16 17:38:38

Lemon Butter Chicken (serves two)

Two/300g chicken breasts or 300g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
Two garlic cloves
Two shallots
200ml double cream
30g Parmesan cheese
100g baby spinach
1 tsp thyme
1 tablespoon butter
Lemon zest
Lemon juice

Method:
1. Dice chicken into chunks, zest lemon, mince garlic, chop shallots etc
2. Melt the butter
3. Cut up your chicken and add it to the butter. Fry it along with the shallot, lemon zest, thyme and garlic until mostly cooked
4. Add the double cream, lemon juice, Parmesan, and spinach and simmer for a few minutes.
5. Check chicken is cooked
6. Serve over courgetti, zero noodles, or alongside buttered vegetables, more spinach, or mashed swede.

gardengirl88 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:55:13

These recipes are fab! Thanks all for inspiration!!

TrumpsFluffyHair Mon 31-Oct-16 12:00:41

Fathead pizza is fantastico! The best low carb pizza base I've tried by a long shot.

Strawclutching Fri 28-Oct-16 15:52:55

Wanhedas chicken satay is one of the best things I have ever eaten!

ASISAYNOTASIDO Mon 24-Oct-16 14:52:03

All looks very tasty - off home now to start cooking.

BIWI Wed 07-Sep-16 13:41:49

It's good, isn't it?! I make it without the bacon if I know I'm cooking for vegetarians (just up the amount of shallots that you use), and it's equally lovely.

BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Mon 08-Aug-16 13:36:42

Last night I made that Bacon, Shallot and Gruyere Tart that BIWI posted upthread. Just tried a slice for my lunch. Deliciousness! The almond flour crust does such a good impersonation of pastry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now