Talk

Advanced search

Any costa rica recommendations with a 7yo?

(14 Posts)
CountessDracula Mon 09-Nov-09 09:47:55

Accommodation or things to do
TIA

InterruptingKid Mon 09-Nov-09 09:49:02

ooh cd

where to lunch in winch with pph TODAY

fast am going in a min

InterruptingKid Mon 09-Nov-09 09:49:25

btw db went to guyana whith whole fmaily on trip - right into rainforest - loved it

alypaly Mon 09-Nov-09 09:58:22

my sons school are doing a school trip next jyear and they have booked several small boutique hotels near to the things that they are going to do. They are going white water rafting, tree top canopy rides in the rainforest and a 900metre zip line across the sarapiqui river. Chocolate factory. Climbing the Arenal trail to the active Arenal volcano and an afternoon bathing in lava pools. They are going to see all the poisonous frogs in a zoo and local tradesman.
Wish i was going as the hotels look fantastic.
When they stay in the rainforest ,they are staying in a tented village,with proper beds and showers...it looks incredible

CountessDracula Mon 09-Nov-09 10:08:24

send her my love!

CountessDracula Mon 09-Nov-09 10:09:07

alypaly could you post some details of the hotels?

alypaly Mon 09-Nov-09 10:28:58

Will post later as i dont know where DS2 has put his itinerary. But i have a brochure in front of me for costa rica with virtually the same trip in. They are doing the Arenal,Monteverde and sarapiqui areas and the trips are oin the school package.
Just had a look at the brochure and the Occidental Allegro Papagayo hotel looks really nice and is very central.

what do you think

get the firts choice tropical brochure and take a look
this is a website that shows his virtual trip but without the accomodationhttp://www.responsibletravel.com/trip/Trip902104.htm
will get back to you latersmile

he maybe a bit young to do some of the things as i think their is a minimum age. My DS2 is 16.5

TokenFemale Mon 09-Nov-09 10:49:47

Definitely go here. The hummingbird gardens are fantastic.

I got to Costa Rica regularly for work - I can ask my colleagues with children for recommendations for you, if you'd like?

TokenFemale Mon 09-Nov-09 10:58:14

IK, am too late to give you recommendations for lunch for today, but Brasserie Blanc is nice. Or for somewhere more relaxe, The Old Vine opposite the cathedral.

MadameDuBain Mon 09-Nov-09 10:59:13

I would recommend the Reserva Biologica Carara (a rainforest national park) for a good way to walk in a real rainforest without too much planning and hassle. You can get guided walks and will see/hear loads of wildlife.

Also Volcan Arenal, stay in that area for a night if possible so you can see the volcano erupting at night (at a distance! - it's pretty safe). Near there is Tabacon hot springs resort where you can go swimming in natural hot spring water from the volcano - it has a huge complex of rivers, pools and waterfalls and even a pool with a cafe in it.

Be very careful at the seaside - there are some lovely beaches but never assume it's safe to swim - get local advice. There are dangerous riptides.

florenceuk Mon 09-Nov-09 11:09:09

Do check the weather - when we went at Xmas time many moons ago it rained all the time at Arenal which was very depressing - we left early! We also went to Corcovado National Park which was lovely - lush forest bordering warm lovely beaches, and at the time relatively untouristed (unlike Quepos). There is a tented campsite at one end here and a very nice hotel at the other end. here.

alypaly Tue 10-Nov-09 09:36:01

got me slightly concerned about the riptides as my son thinks he is a fish and they will have an afternoon on the beach. I am going to check with the school about them swimmimgshock cant believe they have planned an afternoon on the beach if it isnt safe.Are all the beaches dangerous.

MadameDuBain Tue 10-Nov-09 10:17:38

No they're not all dangerous, you just have to know where is safe. If it's an organised trip I'm sure they will.

alypaly Tue 10-Nov-09 12:05:29

they are staying at the villa lapas hotel that day and then going to the beach to chillout....are they ok round that area?
I believe its near to the Punta Leona hotel which is where they are staying in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now