Talk

Advanced search

London to Bangkok what's the best airline to go with?

(24 Posts)
controlfreek Sat 31-Oct-09 10:44:11

wwould love to fly first class with flat beds but need to win the lottery first!

so what airline would you recommend to fly to bangkok?

thanks

mosschops30 Sat 31-Oct-09 10:48:12

Best airlines from my time at TRavelbag were always:

Thai Airways
Singapore
Malaysian

All of which do Bnagkok IIRC (was a while ago), with people like Emirates you will have to stop in Dubai though I think.

Ba and Qantas will fly direct because Bangkok is a hub for both, but clients would always say that customer service was crap

mangosTrickyrice Sat 31-Oct-09 10:50:14

The Middle Eastern ones are all good value, I like Emirates. Got a cheaper deal with Etihad this summer, was mostly okay but at least one meal on each trip was truly, truly inedible.

<Am assuming you're ok with a stop - we had 2 hour waits in Abu Dhabi, not bad I thought>

wingandprayer Sat 31-Oct-09 10:51:40

We flew to Bangkok with both BA and Thai Airways and I would say Thai was better actually. We flew home from one of those with Quantas and they were the worst of the three IMO.

CheeeseOnToast Sat 31-Oct-09 10:55:14

Another vote for Thai Airways smile

bodycolder Sat 31-Oct-09 10:56:16

I have flown qantas and it was great

Bucharest Sat 31-Oct-09 10:59:41

I flew with Royal Brunei and it was like being Princess Diana.....Fabulous.

<never had such luxury before or since>

<and it was a last minute cheapy!>

SquIDGEyeyeballs Sat 31-Oct-09 11:55:39

Singapore Airlines are very good IMO.

Flew to Oz with them on their new mahoosive Airbus A380 and it was fab.

Drayford Sat 31-Oct-09 14:47:49

Thai for non-stop - great service and good seat pitch.

Gulf and Emirates are cheaper (as there is usually a stop-over in the gulf ) and both also have good seat pitch.

sarah293 Sat 31-Oct-09 15:05:16

Message withdrawn

3littlefrogs Sat 31-Oct-09 15:49:02

Have a look at EVA air too. Emirates are really good, but the stop over is a bit of a pain.

Thai Airways are very good, but not as comfortable as emirates.

Besom Sat 31-Oct-09 15:51:04

thai and singapore both excellent ime

controlfreek Sat 31-Oct-09 16:12:55

thanks! will be travelling with 2 kids so will be going direct for our sanity!
great suggestions will take on board... x

sunnydelight Mon 02-Nov-09 07:56:08

Don't fly that route on Thai airways with two kids! When I did Sydney-London via Bangkok in September there were no individual screens on the Bangkok-London route and a woman I spoke to who does it often says that's normal. The people with the bulkhead seats (i.e. with small children) had a massive screen in front of them showing films that weren't always suitable for small children too. It was a bit annoying as a solo traveller but I felt SO sorry for the families with kids.

sunnydelight Mon 02-Nov-09 07:58:19

I should have said it was the same London-Bangkok!

posieparker Mon 02-Nov-09 08:00:28

Thai airlines, although had a great experience with BA...which means terminal five and sometimes getting in early.

Buda Mon 02-Nov-09 08:02:20

Now you see I cannot understand how people say Emirates are good. We had the most uncomfortable flight ever with them from Frankfurt to Dubai last year. Never again.

Thai used to be good.

When I lived in Vietnam I used to fly business class with KLM for the same price as economy on BA. Not sure if it is still the same. It does mean going through Amsterdam but it worked for me.

Friends used to use Eva Air and said it was good.

controlfreek Mon 02-Nov-09 09:15:43

sunnydelight thats crap sorry to hear you had to endure, do you know what type of plane you where on? they have the new 380 airbus looked it up and they all have screens i think!?

sunnydelight Mon 02-Nov-09 13:34:34

I just checked for you, and all the London-Bangkok-London flights seem to use the 747-400 which is what I flew in. These don't have individual screens in economy.

Thai may have the 380 but it doesn't look like they use it on that route. Maybe that will change before you fly, but I would make sure before I booked the flights if I were you! If they do it would be fab as the staff are generally very helpful and the food (if you like Thai food) is good. Singapore Airlines would always be my airline of choice with kids but I don't know if they fly London-Bangkok. I NEVER fly BA after my epic 53 hours Sydney-Cork flight where they fucked up big time and I swear the staff were having a "let's see who can be the rudest without inciting a riot" contest.

controlfreek Mon 02-Nov-09 20:08:13

thanks sunnydelight

singapore do stop in singapore and the stopover is for almost a day so won't be doing that!

not that keen on BA myself..

florence2511 Mon 02-Nov-09 20:10:49

We got a really good deal with Finnair via Helsinki. They were good as far as I remember and the cheapest going when we went which was way back in 2002.

SydneyScarborough Mon 02-Nov-09 20:15:04

Message withdrawn

Overtiredmum Mon 02-Nov-09 20:16:28

Another vote for Thai - totally fantastic

PDRlovesbiscuits Tue 03-Nov-09 21:20:55

I am so glad everybody has good comments about Thai! We are flying to BKK and PER with them in February

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now