Talk

Advanced search

feeding 8 week old nz/uk if not breastfeeding?

(7 Posts)
stoofadoof Sat 31-Oct-09 08:24:05

we're anticipating flying nz/uk with a fairly new arrival - probably some time between 8 and 14 weeks... of course, i'm hoping that i'm successfully breast-feeding, but just in case that doesn't work out, i wondered if anyone could offer advice on bottle feeding on longhaul?

what about sterilising? or should i try and get some steri-travel bottles?

could i take dry formula and hope the cabin crew can provide boiling water to make it up or should i get some ready to drink cartons? will they allow the ready to drink cartons in hand luggage?

sorry - so many questions - have only done long-haul with a toddler!

am planning ahead cos i'm not sure that steri-bottles and ready to drink formula are available here! might need to get it sent from the uk!

thanks for any advice!!

posieparker Sat 31-Oct-09 08:26:51

The cabin crew will provide water but I would definitely take ready made formula and a few bottles. you can always ask for boiling water to sterilise or put cool sterilsing stuff in them before you depart.

Are you allowed to fly with a baby under 12 weeks?

stoofadoof Sat 31-Oct-09 09:24:05

thank you!

what i've read to date has said can't fly before 6 weeks ... i'll check!!

inscotland Mon 02-Nov-09 04:18:08

I'd recommend taking the ready made cartons. Some airports are funny with ready made cartons and won't allow through security. You'd need to check that with your airport though.

You can also buy ready sterilised bottles which you chuck away once done. Excellent for flying. Some will say nipple confusion and all that guff but personally my son took nipple and various teats no problem.

Ready to drink formula is here in Australia and we also have sachets of pre measured stuff which might be good if you have trouble getting cartons through security. Not seen sterilised bottled but not been looking. Have a look on ebay for those or come back to this thread if you are really stuck and I will see what I can find here for you.

Happy travels!

WhatSheSaid Mon 02-Nov-09 04:59:29

I think you can get ready to drink formula cartons here now - think I've seen it in Foodtown. It's a fairly recent addition though. Maybe check the Foodtown website if you're not near a store at the moment.

Who are you flying with? Most airlines are pretty good at providing baby stuff, could you check with yours? I found Singapore airlines very good.

stoofadoof Mon 02-Nov-09 20:26:55

thanks all!

i'll check foodtown today for rtd cartons and pre-measured sachets which sound good too. i'd rather be prepared and not need them, than need them and not be prepared!

Dunno who we're flying with yet cos we don't want to book until LO has arrived (hopefully feb)! also we're humming and ha'ing about whether to go through Changi with singapore (our favourites, and were ace with DD last time!) or head via LA with AirNZ cos the flights/travel would be about 10 hours less... decisions decisions!

stoofadoof Tue 03-Nov-09 08:32:08

well, i've found a few types of pre-measured sachets, but RTD only in 'progress' type forms... just need to check out the contents of the formula here, cos they're all different to the brands i knew in the uk! will have another look round for the RTD stuff over the next week or so, see if i can find any 'newborn'.... feeling bit more organised already - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now