Talk

Advanced search

Have my flights booked; can anyone recommend a hotel in Jamaica?

(23 Posts)
Katymac Mon 19-Oct-09 23:03:04

Loads of places are fully booked or 'All Inclusive' (which we can't afford)

Any Suggestions?

TIA

vvvodka Mon 19-Oct-09 23:04:04

NO
(coz i'm jealous smile hope you have a fab time)

Katymac Mon 19-Oct-09 23:15:33

Meanie wink

It is a holiday of a lifetime

DH (who is Jamaican) is quite poorly so we are taking out DD (12) to see where her Daddy was born - because if we don't now - we might never all go

So I have borrowed more money than ever before (& I will worry about paying it back someday) & we are going

But we are on quite a budget still

vvvodka Tue 20-Oct-09 14:38:54

hope someone on here can come and help you out with that. my sister went to jamiaca last year and had a completely fabulous time.icould ask her where shestayed, but have a feeling it was a pricey place. i know she was quite shocked at how much the restaurants cost.
if your dh is jamaican, could you not stay with any family out there? for the price of a few presents, and beinga good guest, you might get free accomodation.

BlingLoving Tue 20-Oct-09 14:40:41

Easy Living this month had a feature on Jamaica with a range of suggested spots ranging in price from cheap-and-cheerful to Oj-My-God-How-Do-People-Pay-That!

I recylced my copy though so can't whip out the details for you.

Katymac Tue 20-Oct-09 17:17:55

Bling is that Octobers Issue - I'll ask around for it

BlingLoving Tue 20-Oct-09 17:23:30

It's the one with Liz Hurley on the cover - think it might be November actually. Do they have a website?

Katymac Tue 20-Oct-09 18:09:58

Thanks

BlingLoving Tue 20-Oct-09 18:10:40

I did try but can't access it from work.

Katymac Tue 20-Oct-09 18:30:52

I found the magazine but not the article

I am looking for it here

poshtottie Wed 21-Oct-09 08:29:20

buy or borrow a copy of one of the backpackers books such as lonely planet or rough guide and look at their accommodation section. Should have something in your budget.

BlingLoving Wed 21-Oct-09 10:22:28

Ooh - you tracked it down. Good work. Go MN!

Katymac Wed 21-Oct-09 19:17:03

MN is wonderful

I am still working on it - I just fancied a recommendation

moondog Wed 21-Oct-09 19:19:24

Check out Thorn Tree section of Lonely Palnet website.
Or borrow/buy a Lonely Palnet on Jamaica.They are great, especially for budget accommodation.

Katymac Wed 21-Oct-09 20:45:45

Thanks for that suggestion - I will have a good look there

WTSS Wed 21-Oct-09 20:58:13

get lonely planet or rough guide to JA out of the library.
lots of suggestions in either. I booked in Negril from one of those books and stayed in a lovely place which was very reasonable. negril is full of places to stay..if you don't like where you are when you get there you can always look up and down and see somewhere else.

Ocho rios has 'goblin Hill' - my step mother's favourite, although I never stayed there.
Also Frenchman's Cove - a total 50's faded glamour time warp.

Jake's place in St Elizabeth and the hotel next door, whose name I can't remember but we had a nice couple of days there.
HTH

poshtottie Thu 22-Oct-09 11:34:53

Jakes Place was the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of it.

Katymac Thu 22-Oct-09 20:57:57

Thanks for this I am looking at Jakes Place & on Lonely planet

BirdyArms Thu 22-Oct-09 21:19:04

We stayed at the Rock House in Negril here which was fab, though about 5 years ago. From $125 per night, not sure if that's within your budget. I think we had a standard room which was a bit on the basic side but the setting is beautiful and the food was excellent. It's on the rocks rather than the beach. I thought it had a really nice atmosphere.

We also stayed at a v expensive all inclusive place (Round Hill) afterwards and I didn't like that anywhere near as much. I also like the sound of Jake's and wished we'd gone there and the Rock House rather than staying at Round Hill.

Fivesetsofschoolfees Thu 22-Oct-09 21:23:20

We have been to www.fdrholidays.com and it was great. Near Ocho Rios.

Katymac Thu 22-Oct-09 21:38:27

The Rock house looks wonderful but it fully booked - FDR is a bit out of our price range but also looks lovely

Thanks

claraquack Thu 29-Oct-09 16:16:10

Katy I can't believe you are still looking for a place to stay sad. Jakes is fantastic if you can get in there, but I would definitely combine it with a place on the beach in Negril - I think that way you will get a fantastic holiday as Negril has a much better beach than Treasure Beach. Good luck and do let me know where you book!

Katymac Sat 31-Oct-09 20:15:22

I went for the SUnset on the Beach in Negril

I couldn't book until after the 18th because of my CC limit blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now