Talk

Advanced search

Flying with my husband and 11 month old daugther to NYC

(20 Posts)
Charoo Wed 07-Oct-09 11:10:20

Hi,

We are flying for the first time to NYC for 5 days and am just a wee bit worried about my daughter who is going to be 11 months old.

We know that she must be feeding (bottle or dummy) on take-off / landing but what about when she wants to crawl around the aircraft, etc.

Please, if anyone has any tips/suggestions/comments from their experience, this will be much appreciated and we are not sure what to expect.

Also, what will happen when the her sleeping pattern changes?

Please advice and thanks in advance

Charoo hmm

ChunkyMonkeysMum Wed 07-Oct-09 19:26:07

I've got one word for you:

PHENERGAN

You can buy it over the counter in a pharmacy in liquid or tablet form. We gave it to DS1 when we flew to Barbados when he was 7 months old. Give it to him an hour before the flight. Works a treat !!!

grin

hanaflower Wed 07-Oct-09 19:28:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MollieO Wed 07-Oct-09 19:32:16

I wouldn't use Phenergan as it can make children completely hyper.

I would have lots of things (new toys and favourites) to entertain her on the flight. Ds was awake the entire flight the first time we went to Barbados (daytime flight) but slept on the way back (night flight). First couple of days he woke up early but went back to sleep. Didn't have any problem adjusting to the time difference on the return to the UK.

TheBatterflyEffect Wed 07-Oct-09 19:48:13

Message withdrawn

Charoo Thu 08-Oct-09 08:26:16

We are flying ut at 8am and on the return at 9pm. Not sure about this drug "Phenergan". Has anyone else used this for their kids.

Thanks again for all your info.

Charoo

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 08-Oct-09 09:41:45

The advice re phernergan has changed. It is now not permitted for use on children under the age of 2.

Have you obtained a bulkhead seat for your DD?. Will they be providing a bassinet for her for the flight (you will have to take her out of the bassinet during turbulence, take off and landing).

You'll probably need one nappy per hour for the flight. Change her nappy before you board the aircraft. Ensure you have some sort of change mat with you for changing her in the aircraft toilet; these are generally very small and nothing apart from a change table is provided.

Babies don't tend to notice jet lag as they will still sleep when they want to. You will notice the jet lag more than she will.

(I take it as read she has her own passport and that the ESTA forms for all of you have been completed online).

Rindercella Thu 08-Oct-09 09:49:45

Agree with bulkhead seat - do your best to make sure you get these as will make your flights far more comfortable.

Agree with new toys/books/treats for the flight. Aqua draw pads are good. Have some nice finger foods for her as well.

Smile at everyone in your vicinity - honestly, your aircraft neighbours can be the best entertainment for a small child. You quite often will get people playing peek-a-boo, etc and generally entertaining your child without you even realising!

If she cries, don't get stressed. Do all you can to calm her quickly.

I fully expected DD to bawl her eyes out all the way to Barbados when she was 15 months old. She didn't cry once [proud Mum emoticon] I fed her on demand, we had loads of space to move around and DH took her for lots of walks (where she waved and smiled at everyone like the Queen grin).

Have a great time.

Drayford Thu 08-Oct-09 21:16:12

FWIW I once used promethazine (phenergan) for my DC on a red-eye from the states (2 and 4) - what a complete nightmare! They were both so wired and were awake for the whole 11 hours of the flight. The irony was that when we got into the car at heathrow they both slept all the way home (2 hrs) and then for a further 12 - 14 hrs!!! Maybe there's some magic time to administer this drug so that it takes effect when you are actually in the air!

Bassinet seat is essential when you travel with a baby (just in order to let you eat!) but you will need to buckle her in to you for landing & takeoff and any turbulence. I found that when my DD was 10 mths, she slept better and longer strapped to me. DS however viewed any flight as an excuse to stay awake and play for as long as possible. Even he gave up and succumbed to sleep after 3 or so hours though!

Do take any offers from cabin crew to help, hold or play with your DD (many of them secretly love babies)

squeaver Thu 08-Oct-09 21:18:33

If Calpol makes her sleepy give her some, or Nurofen.

Ewe Thu 08-Oct-09 21:28:29

You don't need to drug her! It'll be fairly exhausting but just take lots of books and stuff with you, my DD really liked taking things in and out of pots and bags at that age but they normally have a 'thing' that will keep them occupied.

Take plenty of snacks that you know she loves as they are great for distraction.

Sunshinemummified Thu 08-Oct-09 21:31:44

I flew with 12m old DD to NY in August. Would definitely recommend getting bulk head and basinet - it makes such a difference when they want to sleep as you can strap them in. Apart from that food and songs kept her quiet and when she needed to crawl I took her to the fire escapes and let her have a little crawl round them. Don't worry though - it isn't a bad flight and the on the one back (a bit earlier than yours) not only is it quicker but she slept the whole way.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 22:58:34

The Sky Cots or "Bassinets" are good, but how big is your baby ??

When we flew to Barbados with our 7 month old DS, he only just fit into the sky cot. His head and feet were actually touching each end, so if your DD is 11 months, she may be too big for it.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 22:59:12

You'll have to check with the airline, but I'm sure most of them say the sky cots are for use up to 9 months old.

Sunshinemummified Fri 09-Oct-09 10:13:24

Virgin allow you to use them up to 12 months.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Fri 09-Oct-09 14:32:23

We flew with Virgin to Barbados. As I said, my 7 month old wasn't overly big for for his age & he fitted top to toe, so it's worth finding out the length of them (if poss) as there's no way he would have fitted at 12 months grin

Sunshinemummified Fri 09-Oct-09 15:12:08

DD is a titch so we had no problems with her fitting grin

ChunkyMonkeysMum Fri 09-Oct-09 15:15:33

Awww, bless her !!!

Just depends then whether the OP's DC is little or large grin

starwhoreswonaprize Fri 09-Oct-09 15:19:36

I fly long haul every year, at least once, with all of my dcs and have done since the oldest was under one.

FIRST RULE, always take a night flight.... ooopsgrin

Ensure you book a basinette seat (your dd will need a carseat style one)

Always take loads of things to do, your dd will not be allowed to crawl around.

Buy ready made formula, so much easier than mixing.

Don't worry as it's you and your DH I can't see it being very stressful.

I flew with 4 dcs 6 and under on my own and made it!!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 09-Oct-09 18:12:01

If you are heading west to the US or Canada, practically all the flights leave the UK during daylight hours.

If you are travelling eastwards (say from the USA to the UK or from the UK to the Far East) then you will be flying during the night time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now