Talk

Advanced search

Vegas ideas?

(33 Posts)
RubyBlueberry Mon 28-Sep-09 19:27:52

Has anybody been to Las Vegas?

We are going in November to a friends wedding so we are wondering what is a "must see" show? or places to visit?

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 19:30:46

Just posting here so it goes into my "I'm on". Am interested in your replies as we are going to Vegas next May, for my sister's wedding.

RubyBlueberry Mon 28-Sep-09 19:47:24

Hi Hula, hope we get some funky ideas! I did consider Cher at the Colluseum (sp!) but DH is not keen.

cheapskatemum Mon 28-Sep-09 19:48:55

We went Easter 2008. Tom Jones was playing at our hotel (MGM Grand), so we went to that & he was brilliant. We all enjoyed it immensely. Elton John was just too expensive for tickets for 5 of us. We visited the Hoover Dam (DH is civil engineer) It was beautiful & fascinating. We also took a helicopter trip down the Grand Canyon.

cheapskatemum Mon 28-Sep-09 19:50:20

Not sure those last 2 are "funky" LOL!

Frizbe Mon 28-Sep-09 19:52:06

we did the 'startrek experience' (did I just say that outloud?) it was fun grin

Salsavita Mon 28-Sep-09 19:52:17

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I went in August. It was a fab fab holiday grin

We took the Ds's to see the KA (Cirque de Soleil) show at the MGM Grand. It was tres tres fab. We did the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam and the piste de resistance was Green Day playing at The Mandalay Bay - the boys were made up. The hotels are just lovely.

Be prepared for it to be very very hot and the Strip is literally miles and miles long. The hottest time is around 5.00pm. It took us half an hour to get from the Mandalay Bay (need to go through 2 other hotels) to the other side of the road!

Salsavita Mon 28-Sep-09 19:54:08

Oh and the fountains at the Bellagio are worth waiting to see - just beautiful. They play to the music (the lake is massive and the fountains go right the way across)

RubyBlueberry Mon 28-Sep-09 19:57:16

My mate is getting married ath the Bellagio smile I am so looking forward to it.

You know if it was lovely sunny weather I would be happy sunbathing in the afternoon and sightseeing afternoon and night.What do you think weather will be like in November?

Think we have a bus trip to Grand Canyon organised - 12 hours long! Can't afford the helicopter but still will be good. DH wants to do the Skywalk ((shudder))

bamboo Mon 28-Sep-09 20:00:27

The revolving restaurant at The Stratosphere is cool.

We just had a drink there though, so can't comment on the food.

Salsavita Mon 28-Sep-09 20:15:34

Ruby - we did the bus tour - it is ok, don't worry. We got picked up at 7.00 in the morning, stopped for coffees and pastry's then went on to Boulder City and Hoover Dam. All the buses seem to stop at the same places. We were advised by our hotel to take snacks and drinks which we did and they came in very handy. We got back to our hotel about 6.30pm. In fact our bus was more like a converted transit van. We had a lovely man who drove us (and others on our tour) and he came round with us (tis very very busy). When you get closer to the Canyon, terrain is not very good as the road is only just being made up. We did the rim walk. You have to put everything in lockers (not able to take anything on there) you have to go through like a airport thing where it detects if you have anything on you and you have to wear those flimsy shoe covers over your feet. Every time someone goes on it, it is swept. We found it difficult to walk in the middle of the rim as it is just see through glass, round the sides it is opaque glass. They take your picture for you and then when you come back through the gift shop you have the chance to purchase them. One picture is $30, they will try and sell you a set plus everything on a USB stick for a lot more money.

At 8.00am on a morning, it was fantastic sunbathing weather. We sunbathed till early afternoon, then we would go up to our apartment to chill out for a bit/get showered then head for the Strip (we had a shuttle bus from our resort) - we were on Las Vegas Boulevard, but right at the other end away from the action. The buffets in the hotels are probably the cheapest option. The Mandalay Bay was a little more expensive, but choices were good. You pay for alcoholic drinks but not sodas.

We never got to the Stratasphere as it is way way down the other end of the Strip!

New York, New York is lovely.

Just googled the weather for November and it says

Normal Temperatures and Extremes for
November 1 through November 30
Record High

Normal High

Normal Low

Record Low

The normal high temperature for Las Vegas during the period from November 1 through November 30 is 73 The normal low temperature for Las Vegas during the period is 49. The highest temperature recorded in the past 75 years in Las Vegas for this period is 87. The lowest temperature recorded in the past 75 years in Las Vegas for this period is 15.

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 20:19:51

We will have dd with us, who will be 8y.

Salsavita Mon 28-Sep-09 20:21:45

Hula - we had DS1 (12) and DS2 (9)

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 20:22:06

Sister's wedding is at Luxor, which is where we have chosen to stay.

owlandpussycat Mon 28-Sep-09 20:26:01

Watching with interest as we're going next October for a 'big birthday'

I want to see the dancing waters at the Bellagio and dh wants to see the grand Canyon. Going via Florida to pick up my cousin and dh to come with us. They are going to do the organising with our requests in mind as they have been loads before.

Can't wait.

Salsavita Mon 28-Sep-09 20:26:47

Hula - we had our first buffet meal at the Luxor - was very nice. The Luxor is near the start of the strip.

RubyBlueberry Tue 29-Sep-09 14:51:25

Ooh - just discovered their wedding meal is in the Stratosphere restaurant! yay!

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 14:54:18

That is fab RubyBlueberry!

My sister hasn't chosen where we are eatng after the wedding yet.

cheapskatemum Thu 01-Oct-09 22:28:07

We sunbathed in March - temperatures were around 80 degrees. Loved the lazy river at the MGM Grand, but one thing that was annoying about the pool area was the way that only certain pools were open at certain times, so at 5pm, for instance, everyone would have to up sticks & go to the one pool that was open then. Of course, all the sun beds in the sun would be taken.

RubyBooBerry Fri 02-Oct-09 15:54:53

I would so love to sunbathe.... that would make the holiday quite marvellous for me (watch it howk it down with rain lol! grin)

cheapskatemum Wed 07-Oct-09 22:25:36

It's the desert, it shouldn't rain!

PlumpkinScaryBaps Wed 07-Oct-09 22:50:41

It does rain, y'know. It rained in September 2005 when I was there on honeymoon. But it also rained in Maui, where we continued our honeymoon. You're probably safe from rain, given that we're not going to be in Vegas in November.

grin

Webme1 Wed 07-Oct-09 23:08:55

A helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon is wonderful. A magnificent view and a great memory. If you go, try to video it as it is so wonderful. You can book in advance over the internet.

The Stratosphere rides are really memorable. The rides are chilling. The view is great and worth a visit even if you do not do the rides.
Soar more than 100 floors above the Stratosphere Hotel and enjoy panoramic views of the Vegas Strip and nearby valley. Jutting 1,149 feet into the Vegas skyline, the Stratosphere Tower is the tallest observation tower in the U.S. and one of the most exciting attractions among Vegas Strip hotels.
Big Shot - Shoots passengers straight up 160 feet at 45 mph (over 4 Gs) until they are 1,081 feet above the Strip.
X-Scream - A giant teeter-totter that propels you 27 feet over the edge of the Tower, 866 feet above the ground.
Insanity, the Ride - A massive mechanical arm extends 64 feet over the edge of the Tower and spins you at a force of 3 Gs for a truly mind-bending experience.
Tower Shops - An international marketplace, with themed streets reminiscent of Paris, Hong Kong, and New York.
Observation Deck - See Vegas from the tallest free-standing observation tower in the U.S.

I don't think I'd be doing any rides! Waaay too much of a scaredy cat grin

Cosette Thu 08-Oct-09 21:59:56

for a great view of Las Vegas at night - go up to the Voodoo Lounge on the top of the Rio hotel - they have a terrace and great cocktails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now