Talk

Advanced search

Which would you choose...New York or Orlando (with kids)?

(56 Posts)
chickatee Mon 28-Sep-09 18:50:46

After years of doing camping holidays in Europe we are ready for a change next year and I think I have narrowed it down to either of the above, but I can't make a final decision, mainly because I would really love to go to both grin.

Our kids are not little anymore (they will be 17, 11 and 6) and will most likely be happy with either choice. A trip to New York (I have never been but DH has been twice) would be shorter - probably around 5 or 6 days - and a bit cheaper I think. Orlando would be for 2 weeks and would require some fairly major saving up as we would probably only go once so we would want to do everything!

I won't get back to this thread until tomorrow but I would love to hear any thoughts from people who have been to either or both places with children.

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 18:54:05

I have done both, with DD.

We have been to Orlando, to the parks, 3 times when she has been 2y, 4y and 7y - last time being this summer.

We did New York for a week this May. DD was 7y. Our friend's DDs - went away tgether - were 6y and nearly 4y.

We loved both, but in different ways. They are entirley different types of holidays.

It really does depend on what you want to get out of the holiday, and what all of your interests are.

Both are busy but again in different ways.

What do you enjoy doing on holiday?
What do each of you want out of the holiday?

Hassled Mon 28-Sep-09 18:57:54

I haven't done Orlando but New York is just so fantastic - we went when younger DCs were 9 and 5 and all had a brilliant time.

DD has, however, done both (Orlando with her father) and says Orlando is child heaven. Theme park child heaven. But it's your holiday too - the kids will enjoy themselves regardless, but which would you rather do?

Hassled Mon 28-Sep-09 18:57:56

I haven't done Orlando but New York is just so fantastic - we went when younger DCs were 9 and 5 and all had a brilliant time.

DD has, however, done both (Orlando with her father) and says Orlando is child heaven. Theme park child heaven. But it's your holiday too - the kids will enjoy themselves regardless, but which would you rather do?

Hassled Mon 28-Sep-09 18:58:21

New York's so good I posted twice

Kbear Mon 28-Sep-09 19:08:49

O R L A N D O

Something for all ages, fun, sun, rollercoasters, dolphins, beaches, FOOOOOD, shopping, more fun and even more fun.

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 19:32:13

It probably goes without saying that my 7y would always vote for Orlando though, despite loving New York. Infact we will probably return to Orlando again in twp years time, when my parents plan to go next.

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 10:49:05

Ooh, lots of replies smile, thanks everyone.

Hulababy, we like to get out and about on holiday and do lots of sightseeing but we also really like themeparks, hence my confusion grin.

DH is worried that both places would be hard work with DS3 who is whingey (sp??) and difficult when he gets tired. Normally when we go to a themepark on holiday it is just one (usually very long) day and it's great, but I don't know if DS3 would have the stamina for trekking round all the parks in Orlando over the course of 2 weeks.

I know that New York would be fab for me and DH and the 2 older boys, but I don't know if there would be much of interest to a 6 year old, and again, the amount of walking involved might be too much for DS3. He can be really hard work if he is not enjoying himself.

To answer your question Hassled, I have always wanted to go to New York myself and that may be colouring my judgement somewhat here. Florida is probably the more suitable option for us, but the problem is that if we don't enjoy it that much it will have been a VERY expensive mistake and I will never hear the end of it.

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 11:27:24

Oh, can I just ask too, in terms of spending money how expensive is New York when bringing children? I have a feeling that we would be practically haemorrhaging money whilst there. I was trying to plan a budget but really I have no idea what would be required, although I find that city breaks are always more expensive than imagined.

Based on info from other threads on here I was allowing a budget of around $160 a day for 5 of us in Orlando. Does that soudn about right?

twirlymum Tue 29-Sep-09 11:43:30

They hire strollers in the theme parks in Orlando, or take a cheap buggy.
I don't know of anyone who has been with children and hasn't enjoyed it.

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 11:45:45

With your children that age, I'd go for New York

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 12:22:40

Hmm, verdicts seem to be split 50-50 so far. I was hoping for more of a consensus so that I could say to DH "this is what Mumsnet thinks we should do..." grin

Twirlymum, DS would be 6 and a half by then and hasn't used a buggy since he was 3. He would happily sit in one (he's quite a lazy so and so wink) but I think I might be a bit embarrassed to find myself pushing a big 6 year old around when he has two perfectly good legs. Worth considering though if he is really struggling with the amount of walking.

geordieminx Tue 29-Sep-09 12:29:17

My only concern wih NYC would be finding things to entertain a 17 year old and a 6 year old - very different tastes/interests I should imagine.

With Orlando you dont have to do theme parks for the full 2 weeks - plenty of other things

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 13:00:15

Yes I agree geordieminx. The age difference between our kids always tends to become a problem on holidays tbh. I think it would also be a problem in Florida too as they will be interested in different rides, and different parks too probably. And then there are height restrictions to consider. Much compromise will be required I think.

Oh dear, choosing a campsite was never this hard, maybe we should have just stuck with that.

geordieminx Tue 29-Sep-09 13:10:10

17 year old and 11 year old could wait for bigger rides themselves a bit maybe?

Whatabout a crusie instead? grin

Or leave the 6 year old at home? wink

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 13:46:36

We used a buggy int he parks with DD til she was 4y, but even then she only used it for a short while in he middle of the day or as a seat waiting for parades. I really don't think your youngest will need one at 6y though. DD certainly didn't at 7y.

How tall is your 6yo? DD is 7y and could go on every ride in the four Disney parks. She is about average height. She isn't scraed either - so was no problem to her going on the upside down coaster, etc.

The other parks: SeaWorld and Universal (two of them) have lots of rides for all ages, and loads of attractions too. Islands of Adventure has the biggest rides, but still plenty for the younger one.

You can use baby switch if the 6y can't ride. This way your party only ever queues once. Or you could split up for a qhile with the older ones.

Some families we have seen using radio things (like talkie walkies :D ) to contact one another within the parks.

The Space Centre is worth a visit too, on the coast, about an hour's drive. Again, things for all ages.

The 6y won't have time in Orlando to get whingy!!!

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 13:48:33

chickatee - we have been in groups with different ages and it has worked well. First time it was me, DH and DD (who was 2y4m), my parents (in 50s) and my brother (30y) and and my sister (22y). We only went to different parks one day - and then only for a half a day and met up after.

Sourdough Tue 29-Sep-09 14:01:03

Boston.

Sorry to be a fly in the ointment but my DDs love it. Then fly down to Florida (only cost us about $400 total in mid-summer) and go anywhere but Orlando esp if you have a whiny child who gets tired. You need another holiday after Orlando and the rest of Florida is so much nicer.

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 14:26:49

Geordieminx, don't know about cruise but leaving poor DS3 at home has been suggested on a number of occasions, by DH... and DS1... and DS2 blush. I couldn't bring the other two and leave him behind though so they wll just have to tolerate him. He's a sweetheart really, he's just a bit challenging sometimes grin.

Thanks Hulababy, that's all really helpful information. It's good to know that there are things suitable for DS3 in the Universal parks as they are the ones the older boys are most interested in going to.

DS3 is 124 cms but he is only 5 and a half at the moment so he will be quite a bit bigger by the time we go.

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 14:29:45

Sourdough, hadn't considered Boston, will have a look.

I would love to see other parts of Florida, the gulf coast in particular sounds lovely, but there is no way that the DS's would go all that way and not take in Orlando.

twinkletoescare Tue 29-Sep-09 14:36:16

OK,i go to NY twice a year with my older DS(18) and have always said that NY is no place to go with young dc's...
It is an amzing place,(obv i love it i go every 6 months!) but i would fnd it very stressfull with anyone under teenage years.
IMO small children and NY dont mix...

Also have done and am doing again,Orlando and from a childs p.o.v would say this would be miles better for all of you. smile

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 14:51:19

The disney and universal webisites list all their height restrictions so you can plan in advance.

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 14:52:59

twinkletoescare - why do you not like NY for childrn? As saisd before we took a 7y, 6y and nearly 4y in May and they loved it. There was so much to do for children in NY! Infact so much, despite being there a week, we didn't get it all done.

However, I do think wth the age gaps it would be harder to please evry one all the time in NY than in the parks.

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 14:56:01

Twinkeltoescare, I have heard other people saying the same thing about small children and NY not mixing, so perhaps it would be a risky choice for us. I am leaning towards Orlando now I think. Maybe I will save New York for a grown-up city break with DH at some point in the future [wishful thinking emoticon].

So...has anyone ever brought their kids to Orlando and regretted it??? grin

chickatee Tue 29-Sep-09 15:03:58

Hulababy, I can think of loads to do during the daytime in NY but what did you do in the evenings? And were you restricted in any way by having young children with you in the evenings? Also, do you happen to know if New York taxis can fit 5 passengers?

I'm still keeping an open mind as you can see grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now