Talk

Advanced search

costa rica

(5 Posts)
alypaly Wed 23-Sep-09 14:44:07

anyone got children who have been on an adventure/science trip to cost rica

LadyoftheBathtub Wed 23-Sep-09 14:45:42

No but I've been myself on an extended trip, if you want to ask me anything.

alypaly Wed 23-Sep-09 14:49:23

ds" is going on a school trip which involves canopy rides and 900 m zip line across river,white water rafting,horse back travel thro rainforests,trip to volcano.

is it a safe place for a group of 16 years olds.
Are the mosquitos bad as he attracts them like a magnet

LadyoftheBathtub Wed 23-Sep-09 14:57:36

Well, it is a dangerous place in some ways but I wouldn't say those are the most dangerous things, especially if they're well-managed. I would want to know who is organising it check out their safety policies and history, but those things sound like the kind of thing that thousands of tourists do safely. The ziplines are everywhere and very safe. The volcano isn't a worry - it will be one of the safe ones with tourist paths and wardens. White water rafting should be OK if they follow all the safety rocedues and trainig, and horse ride sounds OK. There are some nasty snakes and so on but they're rare, and anyway you'd be safer on a horse.

One thing he should steer clear of if possible is surfing/swimming in the sea. The only horror stories I heard involved the dangerous rip tides and currents. Just in case, get him to read up on rip tide safety.

I didn't find the mossies that terrible, but I did get bitten - I was advised to take anti-malaria medication and I did. There are actually smaller biting flies that are more annoying and although it's hot, he should take long-sleeved/legged clothes for evenings when the beasties come out. Also a mosquito net and your own lightweight sheet are invaluable - wherever you sleep, you can cover the bed with your sheet and tuck in the mossie net all round, and no creepy-crawlies will get you.

On the plus side it is absolutely amazing and beautiful, and should be a fab trip.

alypaly Wed 23-Sep-09 15:06:32

wow .thanks for that
They are going to the hacienda pozo azul and culcemeca tent camp for night bat tour too.Coffee plantation and chocolate sampling.

Arenal paraiso resort and spa. Also santa lucia town to experience local food.

The volcano trip is to the active arenal volcano and its with night viewing of lava flows.
Think i want to go myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now