Talk

Advanced search

Orlando - Spending Money advice from those who have been please

(18 Posts)
Aimsmum Tue 22-Sep-09 10:23:52

Message withdrawn

Sourdough Tue 22-Sep-09 10:47:07

It's not expensive if you're used to days out in the UK. The park tickets are not cheap but nothing is really expensive once inside. I don't find much mark-up on food etc in the parks than you would expect to pay anywhere else, ie you don't pay much of a premium for having to buy everything in there. It is generally cheaper eating out evenings than supermarket shopping if you go to the usual family friendly haunts. You will spend alot of money though, because
a) There is loads to spend it on
and
b) You are on holiday in a touristy area so will not have any 'normal' places around.
I try not to go to Orlando that much, I go to a different part of Florida but feel I have to defend the US when Orlando-vacationers complain about how much money they have spent. It's not because it's expensive, it's just that you did alot and shopped alot. It was cheaper last year with $2 to the £ sad

willali Tue 22-Sep-09 10:54:25

I found that in Disneyworld anyway the portions of food are SOOOO huge that you can get away with only buying half as much food that youthink you need IYSWIM. HOwever the drinks, ice cream etc do mount up and of course it will all depend on the prevailing exchange rate when you go. If you go to places like Dennys then you will get a good deal in the evenings and again there is more than enough to share on the plate. FInally DO NOT buy souvenirs in the parks - there are a zillion unoficial souvenir shops all around orlando where the prices for t shirts, mugs and general tat is at least half the price and you really would not know the difference.

willali Tue 22-Sep-09 10:56:59

OH and I got through $500 in a week sharing eats and treats with another couple with 2 children in tow (we got the park tickets separately)

Aimsmum Tue 22-Sep-09 11:28:25

Message withdrawn

ChopsTheDuck Tue 22-Sep-09 11:37:38

food shoppping isnt that bad, and we packed up food to take for lunches, and eating out was reasonable in the evening.

However, I would save like mad, because we spent an absolute fortune in the outlets. If I was going again, I'd take empty suitcases and buy everything there. It is sooo cheap, we stocked up on clothes and shoes for the kids and for us.

twirlymum Tue 22-Sep-09 11:55:23

If you are hiring a vehicle, then I would advise going to Wal-mart, and buying snacks and drinks to take with you to the parks. We found that proper meals were not too expensive, but when the dc's want a drink or something to eat every ten minutes, it can really add up. We bought loads of bottles of water, biscuits, fruit etc, and just took it with us. Even better if you have a stroller, as you can bung it all on there!
There are official Disney stores at the outlet centres, that sell official merchandise at a fraction of the cost of the stuff in the parks, it's just last years stock. (wish I had found these earlier, before I had bought loads of stuff in the parks!)
Have a great time!

mumoverseas Tue 22-Sep-09 12:35:35

Aimsmum agree what others have said about cost of food in parks, really not too bad. We went to DLP in July and it was so expensive there, food, drinks etc that it would have actually been cheaper for us to go to the states for 2 weeks as opposed to 10 days in France!

There are some fabulous restaurants near the villa. Sizzler and Ponderosa both really cheap and do a wide range which is good for everyone. They do all you can eat breakfast buffets from around $4 each (excluding drinks) and lunch and dinner buffets (steak,chicken etc) with eat all you can salad, pasta, fruit and loads more from around $10 each. You can pick up discount vouchers from most supermarkets and if you keep your receipt, next time you go back you can get 10% off.

We eat there all the time as its fab for kids as there is always something they will eat.

Agree about the Disney souvenirs too, don't get too many at the park as they will be cheaper in the shops along the 192.

Aimsmum Tue 22-Sep-09 18:26:48

Message withdrawn

oldraver Tue 13-Oct-09 00:27:13

Yes I would (and am) taking a puschair for my DS who will be four while we are there.. He is a tiny chap about the size of a two year old and there is so much walking it will give him chance to rest and move (quicker). Plus I though it would be good to store all our belongings/drinks etc. I think My Mum wants to use it as a zimmer frame as well

A spare bag/case is a good idea. I have 3 x 25kg baggage allowance and its soo tempting

oldraver Tue 13-Oct-09 00:29:01

Sorry 3 x 32kg even better grin

Jagsy Wed 14-Oct-09 09:15:23

Check with the villa owners to see if they have any strollers, when we rented a villa, 4 strollers were left behind! also you can hire a stroller at disney which kids can stretch out in. Enjoy your trip

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 14-Oct-09 14:28:28

Unfortunately the airlines like BA and Virgin no longer have that 32 kg baggage allowance; their max now is 23 kg per case.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 14-Oct-09 14:30:51

Virgin Atlantic's baggage allowance transatlantic is as follows:-

Two pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 23kg (50lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in).

This also applies to their Premium Economy pax.

agedknees Sat 17-Oct-09 17:02:53

I think Virgin has just changed its luggage allowance to one 23kg per person if you are flying economy.

There is a really good website called dibb that will give you good info on Orlando and Disney.

PictureThis Sat 17-Oct-09 17:17:55

Virgin have changed it to commence from 25th November I believe.

Evanesence Thu 22-Oct-09 14:24:36

We actually found the food very expensive, especially in the parks. Save as much as you can otherwise you might find yourself watching the pennies like we did sad

scrappydappydoo Thu 22-Oct-09 14:37:27

agedknees - I was just going to recommend coming over to the DIBB we're a friendly lot and you get every bit of florida info under the sun from there or at least be pointed in the right direction

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now