Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jamaica - any accommodation recommendations?

(18 Posts)
Katymac Mon 21-Sep-09 20:45:03

Flying to Montego Bay

Where should we stay?

Probably not all inclusive

Katymac Tue 22-Sep-09 20:52:55

Bump

claraquack Wed 23-Sep-09 01:39:58

Depends what you want. There are some nice hotels in Negril, where the beach is lovely and child-friendly. Some of the nicer hotels, like the Rockhouse, are up on the cliffs though. Jakes in Treasure Beach (south of the island) is fabulous. Near Montego Bay itself, the Coyaba was one of my favourites. We used to go to all-inclusives but with children the only one we went to was Beaches, which was nothing special. Don't go to Kingston unless you really want/need to, but do try and get to Portland if you get a chance, the most beautiful part of the island.
Ask if you have any more specific questions, I lived in Ja for three years although was last there in 2006 so am a little out of date!

SofiaAmes Wed 23-Sep-09 04:41:04

I booked stuff over the internet when we went (2001) and it was awful. They totally lied and overcharged us. Definitely get personal recommendations from people.

Katymac Wed 23-Sep-09 07:46:51

Sofia - that is what I am a bit scared of

claraquack - we are looking at Negril, but it is all a bit bewildering - I think we are looking for room only or B&B, DD will be 12 so snorkling, wiindsurfing & sailing are important

I am a bit of a wuss & am hoping for "not too spicy" food. DH is Jamaican but has never really 'done' holidays there - he left in '63 when he was 11 and only ever been back to his town (Brown's Hall in St Catherine) - we aren't visiting there tho'

So far the best option appears to be Rondel Village - the reviews on Tripadvisor look OK but it is scarey

Do we ask the hotel to arrange Airport Transfers?

claraquack Wed 23-Sep-09 19:07:12

Katymac - are you sure you want to go to jamaica ;) Spicy food sort of comes with the territory! If you are keen, I would email Rondel and ask them about airport transfers, they can probably arrange it. There are lots of watersports at Negril, again the hotel can probably arrange or help you arrange it. It was Rondel we stayed at and it was nice, but I didn't have children at the time so wasn't looking at it from that perspective.

Here is another that gets consistently good reviews rockhouse - I have only eaten there, but it was nice.

Are you thinking of any other Caribbean islands as an alternative, or do you want to go to Jamaica because of your DH's family links? I currently live in St Lucia, although have only been here for a few weeks so still working things out for myself! However, it is probably an easier destination, although Jamaica's fine out of the cities. (and a very beautiful country too)

Katymac Wed 23-Sep-09 21:46:25

We have to go to Jamaica - dd & dh need to visit while dh can still travel. I have food issues (IBS/CFS)

Our flights are booked so we are going there

I'l have a look at the Rockhouse but it looks out of my price range tbh....or maybe not I wonder if that rate is per room or per person?

It looks fab & I really want to go

claraquack Thu 24-Sep-09 01:30:47

Katy - you'll be fine, you'll love it, enjoy!

Katymac Thu 24-Sep-09 07:39:04

I guess

I am gutted tho' because your place is fully booked sad

claraquack Thu 24-Sep-09 14:56:09

Katy, try this one tensing pen - we stayed in this one and it was lovely. It is near the Rockhouse so you can walk there for dinner if you wanted.

Katymac Thu 24-Sep-09 15:57:26

It's fully booked too

I don't think they want me in Jamaica........

claraquack Thu 24-Sep-09 20:19:16

try rondel, also have a look at a place called country country. Sorry I can't think of any more at the moment but will let you know if I do.....

Katymac Thu 24-Sep-09 20:28:28

TBH - I really hate booking holidays - I just worry about disappointing them, especially this year when I have borrowed so much to go

cheapskatemum Mon 28-Sep-09 19:57:29

We've stayed at Club Caribbean 3 times. It's at Runaway Bay, between Montego Bay & Ocho Rios, so handy for MB airport & day trip to Dunn's River Falls. Last went in 2006, but many of the staff were long standing and are friendly and welcoming. We always went all-inclusive though.

Katymac Tue 29-Sep-09 17:13:13

Thanks for the suggestion - it looks lovely

But it's fully booked sad

cheapskatemum Thu 01-Oct-09 22:22:25

Wow - Jamaica's popular this year! When we last went, there was loads of building work going on - throwing up huge hotels for the Cricket World Cup. I can't believe they're all fully booked (neither can I believe they were during the CWC).

isnowsoonenough Fri 02-Oct-09 14:20:56

Try this www.countryjamaica.com and try these www.coyabaresortjamaica.com

also try to see if you can book via a UK Agent, so google who comes up to see if you can get a better rate. Hotels often supply agents better rates than they can sell direct.

Katymac Fri 02-Oct-09 17:24:34

Thanks for the suggestions I'll look later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now