Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to do 2nd time around in NYC?

(8 Posts)
dietstartstomorrow Tue 15-Sep-09 20:44:44

Just booked up to go to NYC in November....so excited grin

Have been before but was 10 years ago. (Did the empire stare, statue of liberty etc back then).

Any tips from people that have been recently. Thinking of doing the SATC tour - anyone done that?

squeaver Tue 15-Sep-09 20:51:40

Have you properly had a wander round SoHo and Greenwich Village? Personally I'd do this rather than a SATC tour.

Have you been over to Brooklyn? It's pretty funky these days.

You should go down to Ground Zero.

also take a look at this

squeaver Tue 15-Sep-09 20:54:11

read this thread

AWinHW Tue 15-Sep-09 21:10:24

I would second SoHo and Greenwich. Also night life in and around the lower east side is V fab at the moment.

Pastis for dinner (french food no bookings great atmosphere) in Meatpacking - Was in SATC apparently

Bar 89 on Mercer street - it's in an SATC episode apparently. The doors to the loos are see through but change when you lock the doors

Buddakan - Asian food - it's in the film. They all have a meal there the night before the wedding i think. I recognised it as had been in the restaurant before the film came out!

I love NY - can you tell!!

AWinHW Tue 15-Sep-09 21:11:40

Oh and the Gaansvoort (SP!!) Hotel apparently has a fab bar on the top floor. V trendy full of slebs and also in SATC!

Have fun.

dietstartstomorrow Wed 16-Sep-09 13:33:11

Thanks for all the tips - they are great.

Not sure how much SATC spotting DH will want to do though wink

Just remembered it will be Thanksgiving when were there - do they still have that parade?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 16-Sep-09 14:05:33

Yes there is still a Macys Thanksgiving Parade.

The parade route has changed from 2008 to 2009. Here is the new parade route for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade:

The parade starts at 77th Street and Central Park West
Heads South down Central Park West until it reaches Columbus Circle at 59th Street
Turns East at Columbus Circle along Central Park South
Turns South at 7th Avenue, continues along 7th Avenue through Times Square until 42nd Street
At 42nd Street the route turns East on 42nd street for 1 block until 6th Ave.
Turns South onto 6th Avenue
Continues south on 6th Avenue to finish in front of Macy’s in Herald Square at 34th Street.

Wrap up warm, it can get very cold around that time of year.

Alibobster Thu 17-Sep-09 14:05:56

We did a walking and eating tour round greenwich village and it was fantastic - you get the history of the local area and sample food associated with the area and people, we had everything from pizza to milk & cookies - it was really interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now