Talk

Advanced search

What is the best seat on a plane?

(7 Posts)
PrincessLayer Tue 15-Sep-09 00:07:45

I'm flying Virgin to LA. You get an option to check in 24 hours before the flight and can apparently choose your seats. Just supposing I get in quick and can choose anywhere to sit, where is best? (First class is not an option, I'm in cattle economy)

cocococo Tue 15-Sep-09 00:13:59

as near to the front of the plane as poss - you get served first and you get off first

KerryMumbles Tue 15-Sep-09 00:26:56

are you on your own and have no mobility issues? If so, sit in one of the emergency exit rows. Twice as much leg room. You have to be prepared to facilitate emergency exits however.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 15-Sep-09 07:10:15

Virgin charge around £75 to sit in an emergency row and those seats are allocated at check in.

Have a look at www.seatguru.com; these have diagrams of all the planes Virgin uses and also gives details of where the good and poor seats are.

beaniebaby25 Tue 15-Sep-09 07:52:01

or, if you're a flying neurotic like me, the further back you are the more likely you are to, ahem, survive if anything bad happens. just behind wings i think is best? Obviously thats hardly an exact science but i think it's generally acknowledged, but only in certain situations clearly. blush

But yes, that seatguru site is good.

and i dont think exit rows are allocated before, they're done on the day if i remember correctly? I tried to nab one of those on my last long haul flight and thai airways wouldnt let me book it.

DadInsteadofMum Tue 15-Sep-09 11:59:20

beanie is right - it is very hard for a plane to reverse into anything (the ground, mountains, other planes etc)

PrincessLayer Wed 16-Sep-09 08:11:36

Thanks.
DH wants a window seat. I'm not too sure myself. I once went on a plane from NY to Tennessee and had a window seat. Over the wing. Sat there for several hours watching the wing rattle around. I thought it was terrifying!

Seatguru looks interesting. I shall have a proper look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now