Talk

Advanced search

Flight to Oz with 11month old - carrier/stroller?

(11 Posts)
bicep Thu 10-Sep-09 20:52:06

We're flying to Australia for a month at Christmas with my 4yo and 11mo. We can borrow a stroller when we get to Oz but I am wondering whether we'd miss one en route (ie. when waiting around at airports - we have a stop in Kuala Lumpar for ~4 hours). Are there any suitable baby carriers that are comfie for both an 11mo and for me/my dp? Or would a stroller be better to take with us so my ds2 can relax in it at the airport?

Mybox Thu 10-Sep-09 20:56:06

A baby sling for your smallest and the pushchair for your 4yr old. Your 4yr might want to sleep at the airport. Plus it's useful for putting the nappy things in and snacks etc.

bicep Thu 10-Sep-09 21:19:43

I hadn't even really thought about my 4yo. He has not been in stroller for about 18 months... but yes, I guess he might well want to. Can you recommend any baby slings?

Mybox Fri 11-Sep-09 09:00:10

I use a baby bjorn sling - it packs down well and I find it comfy.

Recently we had a 4hr delay on top of the usual airport wait & having a pushchair helped.

bicep Fri 11-Sep-09 20:06:17

We've got a baby bjorn, but I thought maybe ds2 might be too big for it when he reaches 11mo? He is not an overly large baby, but I was thinking perhaps a sling where baby can recline and lay across the body might be better for them to relax?

Rosa Fri 11-Sep-09 20:23:17

I have just done 2 short haul flights with a 10 mth and a 3.5 yr old. I had a baby bjorn and I 'spinned' the baby when she was due a sleep. I had terrible back ache after however !! There is no way she woud sleep in a sling as she wants to see the world. I do have however and used it for both a buggy that folds to the size of hand luggage - you can't load it ( bags , hand luggage etc ) like a normal one but it was a god send. Best £50 I ever spent and it fits in teh overhead locker and mine is 7kg !Both could ride in it ( I did it on my own so had baby in pack and child in buggy. I did buy it in Italy its a Gordani worldwide but I am sure there are similar things on the market in the UK.

Mybox Fri 11-Sep-09 20:30:37

I have a shoulder sling but found it gave me shoulder aches afterwards when she got bigger and I used my opposite hand to support dd - so not hands free for me. Could you take both and see which works best at the time - a shoulder sling could be good when siting down & bbjorn when walking around.

Catper33 Sat 12-Sep-09 10:37:33

Depending on who you are flying with you may not have your stroller when in transit unless it is allowed to be stowed as hand luggage(the ability to do this can vary from one crew to the next). We found it was actually easier without one and when our dd was sleeping used a sling instead.

Enjoy Oz.

belgo Sat 12-Sep-09 10:43:44

If this were me, I would use an ergo carrier for my ds, to carry him on my back or front, and a small umbrella stroller for the four year old. You can also use the stroller for the baby.

bicep Sat 12-Sep-09 20:23:15

Hmm, perhaps the baby bjorn would be better than a shoulder sling. I think I will try to get hold of a sling to try though.

Catper - we fly with Malaysia Airlines, will have to check about policy re; stroller.

Rosa - I like the sound of the tiny fold up buggy - I will look into that too.

Ooooh, i just looked up the Ergo carriers - they look great!

So much to choose from now! Thanks guys.

inscotland Mon 14-Sep-09 13:54:16

You won't get your buggy back in KL. It will be checked right through to Australia - unless there is room onboard for the buggy but you'd need to be quick and ask as soon as you get to the gate for that. Its not always possible.

A sling would be the best bet for KL. I don't recall them having spares to borrow but I might be wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now