Talk

Advanced search

What currency to take to Brazil ?

(7 Posts)
clumsymum Thu 10-Sep-09 10:13:35

Hope someone can help.

My lovely "Mother's Help" is off for 3 weeks to Brazil, and I want to give her some spending money.

Is it best to try to get hold of Reals for her, or would US dollars be more useful (much easier to get)?

I went there in the late 1980's, when the currency was in complete flux, and we took US dollars which were changed almost daily on the black market (organised by our reputable tour operator), to give us the best value for our money.

But I know things have changed Hugely since then.

Anyone know?

clumsymum Thu 10-Sep-09 10:32:27

?

Geocentric Fri 11-Sep-09 01:20:04

Dollars are pretty easy to change over here - not so much currency flux now so if she can bring some Reais to use at first, great! Where is she going? I'm in Sao Paulo, if she needs any info or help...

clumsymum Fri 11-Sep-09 14:22:31

Geocentric,
Thanks for your advice. She is going to Rio, but I think they are going to try to travel around, I've certainly encouraged her to.

When I was over, I went everywhere, Manaus, Brazilia, Salvador, Sao Paulo, Foz do Iguacu, as well as Rio de Janeiro.

So I'll try to get some Reais, but will give her dollars if not.

Geocentric Fri 11-Sep-09 14:59:18

Wow, you went all over, good for you!!! You've been to places I haven't been yet... and I've lived here since I was 8!!
envy envy grin grin

mmmwine Sun 11-Oct-09 16:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mmmwine Sun 11-Oct-09 16:15:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now