Talk

Advanced search

Venezuela - Caracas

(10 Posts)
weegiemum Wed 09-Sep-09 08:47:22

Dh and I are going to Caracas to visit friends for 10 days in October. Child Free!! (staying with aunties and grandparents).

We've had all the jags (we'd had most of them before!) and seem to be ready - really excited.

Our friends do development work there and as I am doing an MA in International Development I'm terribly excited about seeing it all!!

Any tips?

(sadly, on this visit no time for Angel Falls!)

missmelly Wed 09-Sep-09 16:28:44

sorry no tips, but have a great time

weegiemum Sun 13-Sep-09 22:36:15

Bumping this in the hope someone might have been.

Also - should we just take dollars?

weegiemum Sat 19-Sep-09 23:01:15

Am a bit freaked out by the fact that NO-ONE has been!!

We are visiting friends in the barrios so not expecting a lot, but surely someone has been to Vzla???

gingerbunny Sat 19-Sep-09 23:26:42

my uncle used to live there for about 12 years. they moved back here a few years ago.
we never visited but from what i know it's a beautiful country, with friendly people, but like most places it has really dodgy areas.
i think dollars are the things to take, but i'll try and find out more for you.

MrsMuddle Sat 19-Sep-09 23:33:04

Have you seen Grergory's Girl? wink

ABetaDad Sun 20-Sep-09 02:11:03

I know someone that lives there with is family. He takes different routes to work each day, uses decoy cars and has a 24 hour armed guard and lives in a compound.

This is what the http://travel.state.gov/travel/cispa_tw/cis/cis1059.html US State Dept] (scroll down to Threats to Safety and Security). It has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world. As a Western tourist you will always be a target. Do not go out at night at all. Do not ever travel alone. Extreme poverty and your relative extreme wealth will put you in danger.

ABetaDad Sun 20-Sep-09 02:12:31

LINK:

US State Dept (scroll down to Threats to Safety and Security).

claraquack Wed 23-Sep-09 01:46:04

I lived there in the 80's, well my parents did and I visited during school hols and then spent a year there. However I think it is a very different place now, I gather it can be quite violent so be careful. As you are visiting friends they will be able to advise you on safety. And read FCO travel advice.

My best memories of Venezuela are mostly OUT of Caracas, I have to say. I did make it to the Angel Falls, and we used to go to the beaches at weekends. Can you do a trip to Merida?

Oh and make sure you drink lots of the local rum, Cacique!

bigspender30 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:21:07

Yes I went for a day. Scariest experience but glad I have been. I am sure you will have a great time. Stay safe x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now