Talk

Advanced search

Vaccinations for South Africa?

(6 Posts)
InTheZenGarden Tue 08-Sep-09 13:18:54

Hi,
Planning on going to SA for a month in November, with DH and DD . Not going anywhere "dangerous" healthwise - Cape Town, along the garden route to Plett and then up through the klein karoo back to CT.

My sources suggest we should be vaccinated against Hep A and typhoid. DD is 17 months. Apparently the typhoid vaccine is not very effective below 2 years old, so not much point in giving her that. What do you think about Hep A?

I am not against vaccines per se, she is up to date with all her UK recommended ones. I just don't want her to be jabbed unnecessarily.

TIA

stillstanding Tue 08-Sep-09 13:21:17

I really, really wouldn't worry about Hep A and typhoid especially where you are going.

When we went, I did get DS the BCG which I thought was sensible mainly because TB appears to be relatively prevalent in London these days so a sensible precaution all round.

wannaBe Tue 08-Sep-09 13:23:26

well I grew up in south africa and have never been vaccinated against anything. Nor would it even occur to me to be vaccinated if I went back there on holiday.

So personally i wouldn't bother, but your call obviously.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 08-Sep-09 13:28:26

I wouldn't risk hep A - my 4YO nephew living in SA contracted Hep A from visiting friends and it took him over 6 months to recover enough to get back to normal.

My parents live in the Western Cape and Hep A is not an option - especially if you are going to be relying on others to prepare your food ...

InTheZenGarden Wed 09-Sep-09 08:31:16

Thanks everyone - quite differing views...
Will ponder it some more

mmrsceptic Wed 09-Sep-09 08:40:23

i thinkyou can give gamma glob just before travel instead of a hep A vax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now