Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of Sharm el Sheikh for October half term - is this a good time to go? Any recommendations or alternatives?

(23 Posts)
OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 05-Sep-09 21:21:08

Thanks.

(Oh, 3 DCs aged 14, 11 and 8.)

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 05-Sep-09 22:23:47

Anyone?

madrose Sat 05-Sep-09 22:25:45

I would, make sure you get a hotel with a heated pool. Enjoy

hf128219 Sat 05-Sep-09 22:41:23

Great idea. The Holiday Village is recommended by friends. The Four Seasons is very nice too.

Do your pricing research on line. Look at booking flights/hotels yourself.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 05-Sep-09 22:49:00

thanks - haven't looked at Holiday Village but Four Seasons seems to be full < gutted >.
Will look now.

hf128219 Sat 05-Sep-09 22:52:02

www.cntraveller.com/Guides/Egypt/Sharm_el_Sheikh/Default.aspx?Page=2

This could be helpful.

My SIL likes the Hyatt.

QOD Sat 05-Sep-09 22:58:41

I went same hol last year, sea warm pool bloody cold LOL
Well Hurgharda anyway, really lovely go - but you are kinda trapped in your hotel grounds and omg. you have to tip EVERYONE. and they run at you and harass you everywhere you go -

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 05-Sep-09 23:14:58

I realise we'll probably be trapped as we're not good at dealing with local 'colour' if that involves fending off hassle.
But I was banking on being able to cope with that for a week if I'm in nice surroundings?

hf128219 Sat 05-Sep-09 23:23:30

I find the locals fine. It's all just a bit of banter and you can just try and ignore it.

You won't see it if you just stay on your resort.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 06-Sep-09 00:23:18

Thanks - will look at Hyatt and Holiday Village.
I'm sure we will at least attempt to go local, maybe having kids with you helps.

QOD Sun 06-Sep-09 08:04:00

I have to say, on our resort, it was the ONLY place I have ever just left money & camera on the sun bed. 100% honest & safe & trustworthy.
By the pyramids was a different matter!

We did do the pyramids trip - was £120 a person & a whole 20 hr trip but worth it - or you can go to Luxor - recommend flying not coach because they drive insanely in coaches. There was a fatal crash just before we went.

It was fascinating, but they just run at you with arms of watches & stuff - quite high pressure

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 06-Sep-09 09:57:00

Don't think we'll be wanting to add another several hundred pounds on to the cost - think if we go local it'll be wherever we can get to in a taxi - but thanks for the warning.

Pimmpom Mon 07-Sep-09 15:04:54

Just booked Hilton Sharks Bay and I'm sure their pools are heated. Hope so as we are going at Xmas. Booked direct on the Hilton website.

HTH smile

CatherineofMumbles Mon 07-Sep-09 15:24:48

Had a brilliant hol there @ Easter - no need for a heated pool then, so would be amazed if you need one in Oct.We are going back next Easter and every Easter till the money runs out - fabulous food, wonderful people etc. Pyramids - would not bother - you don't get any better impression than from a postcard, and Cairo is a horrble place. Luxor - yes, would do the trip - proper town ( SeS strictly a tourist resort)in a beautiful setting and the Valley of the Kings well worth the vist.
Am very envious - have fun!

QOD Mon 07-Sep-09 18:15:32

oh now we were overwhelmed by the pyramids, absolutely amazing - really recommend it

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Mon 07-Sep-09 18:33:06

As a confirmed wimp, I never swim in unheated pools no matter where I am and whatever the time of year.
Hadn't occured to me they might not be, so I'll add that to my check list.

bluesky Thu 10-Sep-09 20:22:23

Hyatt Regency is fantastic, so good we went back. Both times at October half term. sea warm, fantastic snorkelling. The hyatt has it's own reef, so you just step off the pontoon and they are right there, no having to go off on boat trips.

Lots of food choices, amazing breakfasts, about 3-4 different pools, kids pool has rapids and waterfalls, warm when we went.

Tennis courts for when it cools down at about 5ish! In October the sun goes behind the hill at that time, so at dinner, you sometimes need a little cardy over your dress or whatever.

Amazing service, can really recommend. My two want to go back (ages 13 and 8).

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 11-Sep-09 22:33:24

Thanks will look in to that. Have been side tracked looking at Mark Warner - not sure if that's a good option or not.

bluesky Sat 12-Sep-09 15:24:12

We did that inbetween our two trips. much preferred Hyatt. Mark Warner site was much windier, felt much bigger and flatter, bit soul-less really. Better food Hyatt. No "wow" fish at Mark Warner.

But if you want childcare/clubs etc then Mark Warner is the one.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 12-Sep-09 23:50:17

Hyatt looks lovely but I think, as it's B&B, it'll end up costing more than DH will be prepared to spend.

Am veering towards the Hilton Sharks Bay now - seems to get mostly positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

Just wondering if a purely hotel type of holiday as opposed to the beach club style of MW is much less sociable for the DCs, especially the 14 year old?

Pimmpom Sun 13-Sep-09 09:34:33

Have booked Hilton SB after reading lots of reviews! I have a friend that has been there twice with teenagers and they have always made friends. She seems to think it is good for teens.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 13-Sep-09 11:47:21

It does get fab reviews on Tripfinder - just have a bit more work to do on DH as he's a bit grumpy hesitant about the whole thing.

Pimmpom Sun 13-Sep-09 13:10:23

Yes, I had to work on DH as well wink. Could have booked other hotels a lot cheaper but I don't think SSH is the place to take a chance. Good luck with DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now