Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone flown Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur? What are they like?

(14 Posts)
bran Sat 05-Sep-09 20:17:33

They fly from Stanstead which is more convenient for us than Heathrow, and we could fly premium economy which would give us a bit more elbow-room but if the service is pants then I would rather go with MAS or Singapore Airlines.

bran Sat 05-Sep-09 22:52:47

Bumping

moondog Sun 06-Sep-09 21:56:27

Is MAS Malaysian Airlines?
I've just flown with them to KL.Pretty cramped and fairly basic.

Do Emirates do that route? They are the best.

bran Sun 06-Sep-09 23:05:28

Emirates do go there, but I would have to change planes on the way which I would be reluctant to do as I will be travelling alone with 23 mo DD on either the outward or return leg and having to carry her car seat around. Gulf Air are doing an offer on business class atm which I'm tempted by, but again I'd have to change planes.

I've flown MAS (it is Malaysian Airlines) a lot and they are quite variable and often shit in recessionary times so I will let DH know that they're not good at the moment.

bran Sun 06-Sep-09 23:06:05

Forgot to say thanks, I'm so rude. grin

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 16:03:26

Aren't you just. grin
wink

Why are you lugging the carseat about? What a hassle! I travel a lot alone with kids 9although much easier now as youngest 5) and I think a stopover is a good idea-great for stretching legs.

When were you last in Dubia? You can borrow buggies now to get from one plane to another which is a fantastic idea.

bran Mon 07-Sep-09 16:58:14

DD will be 23 months when we travel and having a car seat on her own seat avoids having to strap her on to me for take off/landing/turbulance. It worked very well when DS was about 18 months because he was used to being strapped into his car seat and didn't make a fuss, plus it was very comfortable for him to sleep in.

A buggy loan system is a great idea, although DD prefers to walk now anyway and is a good fast walker. (I used to think that it was my parenting at fault that made DS a slow, whingy walker but now I think it's just his personality because I haven't done anything different with DD.)

The car seat has to come with us anyway as they just don't have them in Malaysia. In some ways I prefer to have it with us on the plane as I've seen the way they handle luggage.

I used to like it years ago when MAS used to stop to refuel in the middle east, I don't like using the loo in the air so it gave me a chance to wee. grin One of them was a very uncomfortable place to stop though, I can't remember where it was but there was nothing there and I was wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt and got stared at a lot. I think I spent most of the stopover lurking in the ladies.

tvfriend Mon 07-Sep-09 22:40:13

Sorry, thread hijack!
Moondog, have you flown MAS in the past. Was it more rubbish than it used to be?
Just about to book with them to Langkawi via KL and have always thought good in the past. Other option is Singapore Airlines but connections not v good.

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 23:37:02

TV, can't recall. Possibly.
I have just been to Langkawi with them actually hence KL stopover?
Where are you staying.

tvfriend Tue 08-Sep-09 10:39:58

Andaman and Tanjung Rhu.You?

moondog Tue 08-Sep-09 15:34:18

Sheraton Beach Resort
Vety nice too although not so impressed with the rest of Langkawi.

tvfriend Tue 08-Sep-09 16:16:03

We've been a few times now- love it grin

rosbif Wed 09-Sep-09 22:01:42

Just come back from Asia, flew Air Asia as flight ridiculously cheap. Went with 6 year old DT and 2 year old. Really okay, it is not Singapore but for the price was pleasantly surprised and they were great with DC. All clean and on time.

bran Wed 09-Sep-09 22:04:29

Thanks rosbif.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now