Talk

Advanced search

NYC experts, advice please: best way to get from Newark to midtown Manhattan?

(19 Posts)
Steamroller Wed 26-Aug-09 17:03:21

The taxi looks very expensive. I've seen Airlink, shared ride service which is $57 for 3 people , including tax (but I don't know if that includes tolls as well, it doesn't say).
Should we go for Airlink or just fall into a cab? We'll be tired after flight + with tired cranky 10 yrold!

OhBling Wed 26-Aug-09 17:05:18

With three people, I'd fall into a cab. I think we paid about $40.

mosschops30 Wed 26-Aug-09 17:06:43

You used to b able to get a shuttle bus from right outside Newark airport that took you to Port Authority bus station. Was about $7 return per person

mosschops30 Wed 26-Aug-09 17:07:53

Oh and beware of the cabs, we did it the other way round and flew to JFK but needed to be by Newark airport.
Cab quoted us a fare, then doubled it for his journey back, we ended up paying about $90

Steamroller Wed 26-Aug-09 17:28:10

thanks everyone.
OhBling, that sounds cheap. where were you going? we are going to midtown manhattan, and it says $50 - $75. (Big price range, isn't it?! )
mosschops30, do you mean you ordered a 'return' trip with the same taxi? was there a particular reason why you did that?
What about the toll charges? It says the taxi fares don't include toll charges but doesn't say what they are or how many of them there are!
(it's all a bit confusing for the NYC virgin!)

mosschops30 Wed 26-Aug-09 17:32:27

No we just wanted a one way, but when we arrived he doubled the fare and said that was the norm when heading out of Manhattan. From what I remember there were two tolls but I suppose it depends which way they go.
This was a yellow airport cab too, not some dodgy bloke we picked up hmm.
What time are you landing?
Id go for the bus option if you can, it was clean, comfortable and easy

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 26-Aug-09 17:34:55

You will need to head for Ground Transportation in arrivals. Supershuttle are also a shared ride service and they may well operate out of Newark. I would also be looking into getting a cab and establishing the exact fare before riding.

(I take it as read you have completed the online ESTA for all of you in your party. This is mandatory).

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 26-Aug-09 17:38:40

Supershuttle do operate out of Newark (EWR). I would use either them or a taxi (the Supershuttle will likely work out cheaper than a taxi and you can arrange a return with them too. This is called "round trip").

undertheduvet Wed 26-Aug-09 17:39:29

There is a train link that goes from Newark to Penn St Station, not expensive and quite quick link see here
Depends what time your flight arrives in as I dont think t runs 2 am - 5 am. We used this 4 years ago when we went, was much better than negotiating taxis etc

undertheduvet Wed 26-Aug-09 17:41:12

Penn St Station is right in Midtown as well, when you come up out of it your first view is the Empire State Building, great welcome to NYC

Steamroller Wed 26-Aug-09 17:53:52

brilliant advice. thank you everyone.
mosschops - you've got me worried about the taxis now!
Attila - yes, thanks re esta. Supershuttle seems to be the same thing as Airlink, so i'm wondering which is better (if there's any difference). Have you used Supershuttle yourself? Did you find them ok when you came out of the arrivals terminal?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 26-Aug-09 18:53:53

Have used Supershuttle in the past from Newark and other US cities and have found them satisfactory to use. I would say though that they can go around the terminal road up to three times before leaving for the city itself.

Think their website is www.supershuttle.com if you want more details. Newark's airport code is EWR.

AWinHW Thu 27-Aug-09 20:20:58

Literally just back.

Taxi into town $72 + tip so $80 (lowers east side)
On the return it's better/cheaper to get a town car (hotel will book it for you) $65 + Tip

Think taxi is the best way to go but it depends on where you're staying.

Alibobster Mon 31-Aug-09 22:27:52

Attila I've used supershuttle a few times, in New York and San Francisco and always been very good. Would definately recommend. Have a great trip

Steamroller Fri 11-Sep-09 15:03:25

NYC experts please help again!!!
I'm totally confused about getting to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island.
Is Statue of Liberty Tours the same thing as the Staten Island Ferry company?
It says on the SoL website that you need a ferry ticket with 'monument access' on it to get in. Does the ordinary ticket from the Staten Island ferry include 'monument access' or do we have to get a SoL Tours ferry (if different)? AND, if we get an ordinary Staten Island ferry ticket, and it doesn't have 'monument access', will we have to get a SoL entrance ticket at the SoL itself, and will that mean queuing for hours? THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Sep-09 17:44:35

www.statuecruises.com/ferry-service/welcome.aspx

The above may be helpful

If you want to actually go inside the Statue of Liberty at all you will need to buy tickets in advance and not on the day itself.
Security is very tight on that whole island particularly if you want to go inside the Statue itself.

Steamroller Sun 13-Sep-09 11:33:59

Thanks!

Kiwinyc Mon 14-Sep-09 13:12:09

The staten island ferry is a normal commuter service for people that live on Staten Island. YOu will get a view of the Statue of Liberty on your way past, but it only between the bottom of Manhattan to Staten Island and back.

The staten island ferry ride is a wonderful 'cheap' way to have a boat ride across NY Harbour and see the views of lower Manhatten, Wall St, The Verrezano Bridge and the Statue of Liberty, and by not getting off the ferry at Staten Island and just staying onboard for the ride back to Manhattan you pay the fare only once.

If you want to do visit Liberty island (the island the Statue of Liberty sits on), you take the Statue of Liberty tours ferry and this ferrys' route includes a stop at Ellis Island where you can get off and tour of the Immigration Museum thats there. (Well worth it btw)

Once you are on Liberty Island, you have the option of buying a ticket and going up inside the statue itself. I never bothered, the lines are horrendous!

Do try and get up to the top of the Empire State building too, its amazing.

Steamroller Mon 14-Sep-09 19:27:06

thanks kiwinyc - much clearer now. It must be the Staten Island ferry, then, that i've done before (15 years ago- only very vague memory!), and just that view of SoL was breathtaking enough, no need to go up it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now