Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone recommend taking a phil and teds buggy longhaul?

(20 Posts)
Lulou Sat 15-Aug-09 14:59:52

Hi, we are travelling to Perth in a couple of weeks time and I have DD1 4years, DD2 3years and DS who is only just 1 year old. Will I be Ok taking the phil and teds double buggy as this is handy when DD2 is tired, or will it not get there in one piece. Is a stroller a better option. Also what do you do about making formula on the flight, do you take made up cartons or just ask for water as and when? Any help appreciated, can't think of the hol for worrying about the flight!! x

2to3 Sat 15-Aug-09 23:12:01

We travelled lots with our P&T - used to take it right up to the gate then pack it up in the travel bag (cost about £40 from Out&About) and give it to the attendant to put in the hold. Never took it long haul though so if you're changing flights it might be best to check it in. I'd definitely recommend the travel bag as there are so many spare bits that can get lost otherwise.

The only problem we ever had was that one of the elbows for putting the back seat up front broke in transit because we'd left it in, so good idea to take those off. Good idea to take spare tyres, pump and any other spares you think you might need. It might be easier to go with just a stroller - depends on how much walking you plan on doing and how dependent you are on having a buggy for two kids.

For bottles you could get a couple of those formula containers that let you measure out each feed beforehand and just make up each feed by adding bottled water. I'm sure they'll give you some hot water on top too if you need it warm, otherwise cartons might be easier. And don't worry - you'll be fine! People are usually been lovely and helpful whenever we're flying with our mad brood.

elkiedee Sat 15-Aug-09 23:56:44

If you're going to give formula I'd go for cartons rather than bottled water. It's meant to be 70 degrees when you mix.

Lulou Mon 17-Aug-09 09:34:33

Thanks, might look into getting a travel bag. I was looking at those containers but they only hold three feeds and will need at least six. Does anyone know where you can get the sma sachets, used to get them from tesco but can't find them now. not sure if they still make them.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 09:49:33

yy travel bag for the P&T - don;t take a stroller

agree re cartons but remember you'll need to buy them airside as you an't take liquids through security.

NB if ds is 1 can you not give him cows' milk and avert the problem?

floatyjosmum Mon 17-Aug-09 10:18:32

i dont have a p&t but a quinny that comes in a travel bag.
we went to la last year and this was great as we just popped it in the bag and gave it to the attendant at the plane.

only prob we had was when we got of the plane, in la they put them on the carousel thing with the rest of the luggage so had to get through customs with a tired and ill child. but when we landed in heathrow they gave it back to us at the plane which was great,

with the formula thing, on another post someone has mentioned that you can ring the chemist at the airport (usually boots) and ask them to put some ready mixed to one side for yo, i would def say this is easier as dired milk can make a mess when you least expect it

elkiedee Mon 17-Aug-09 10:33:40

I would give cows milk to a 1 year old, but on a plane journey of that length, fresh milk isn't going to stay fresh.

Re powdered formula, it's not just the water you need to worry about, it's the powder, which is why it's meant to be mixed at a high temperature, and when you're on the plane and you're not in a position to do that, it's better to take cartons.

mumoverseas Tue 18-Aug-09 16:49:16

I'd take the P & T in a travel bag to protect it. I've recently bought a P & T and bought the bag too as we fly long haul a lot and will be field testing it for the first time in 3 weeks.

Ref milk, I tend to take one of those containers that holds enough for 3 feeds and a couple of cartons just in case. Obviously you will have to buy them airside and as others have said, its worth phoning the Boots airside and asking them to put some aside for you

good luck

moondog Tue 18-Aug-09 16:52:59

I used my P&T loads and took it all over the world when my kids were little. I got a big plastic bag from Turkish Air and put it in this every time.It survived about 20-30 flights.

silverfrog Tue 18-Aug-09 16:53:47

def take P&T, and def get a travel bag.

we take ours everywhere dds are 5 (with SN) and 2, and it is a lifesaver!

we have managed to get our P&T on board before now, rather than send it to the hold, but it does rerally depend on what airline you are flying. brilliant if you can manage it though, as then you have it immediately at the other end.

we are taking it on our flight to Sydney tomorrow!

mumoverseas Tue 18-Aug-09 17:09:30

hijack silverfrog do you have to take the doubles kit off when you put it in the travel bag? (note to self, get travelbag you bought out of the plastic bag it came in and look at it!)

moondog Tue 18-Aug-09 17:10:32

Oh, and when I was travelling laone with 2 small kids, I wouldn't get out of my seat until they brought it to the door as I found they usually lied about it being available to me straightaway at the other end. Generally it was a half mile walk away on the luggage carousel. angry

mumoverseas Tue 18-Aug-09 17:16:22

hmm thats an interesting idea moondog. They always lie about it don't they.

silverfrog Tue 18-Aug-09 17:17:04

I have a P&T Sport.

dh is the espert on getting it into the bag (I am usually herding small children gently in the direction of their seats!) but yes, i think so.

the main buggy goes in (bit of a squeeze - have a practice at home first!), and you have to take the mudguards off too. then doubles seat lies on top and you sort of squash it in. bag zips up, and you can wheel it about using rear wheels of buggy, but release wheels and shove in on top for travel bit (if going to the hold)

I think the wheels have to come off to go in hold - there might be a sectioon on the website about it...

second moondogs suggestion about staying in your seat if you don't get it on board - it always comes back via the outsize baggage carousel, so extra long wait, and sent right at the end of everything else, ime. that's why we argue for it to be on board now! Now that dd1 is bigger (and dd2 walking well, usually) - we tend to use disabled assistance at the airport either end (dd1 is ASD) and so don't need P&T as immediately.

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 17:20:50

The P&T travel bag is excellent, once you've worked it out (practice at home - at the gate is not the place - oops!) it works really well, with the wheels sticking out you can wheel it really easily. I would take it. Esp if you're going to be away for a while.

Formula... I would second the cartons idea... much easier too.

dee0468 Tue 18-Aug-09 17:34:06

We took Phil and teds to Italy minus travel bag. We kept it with us until we got to plane there and back and it survived. Only hairy moment was when I had to take it through oversized baggage in Italy. I had to collapse it to go through xray machine and the poor security guy tried to put it up for me but couldn't. He ended up holding ds for me. Sure it wouldn't be allowed over here.

mumoverseas Tue 18-Aug-09 17:37:53

oh christ, getting it into the travel bag sounds as complicated as putting the damm thing together shock
love the way they say you can be up and running in 5 minutes but the instructions and pictures are a - x!

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 17:42:53

Really it's not that bad, you have to take the front wheel off, but it's just a case of pushing the little pin in and popping it off. I reckon we can do it in about 2 mins now - usually the time it takes for ds to cause complete and utter chaos at the gate

mumoverseas Wed 19-Aug-09 08:00:02

do you think is better to actually check it in or keep it until the gate. just getting a bit worred about it being damaged. A friend's pram was damaged once and the airline said they weren't liable as there was a disclaimer on the ticket she was given when she checked it in

HeadFairy Wed 19-Aug-09 08:54:14

I would take it to the gate for the convenience of not having to carry a toddler around... plus loading it up with bags coats etc is always handy. I'm not sure about the damage thing.... luckily we've never had ours damaged. Maybe it's worth checking your household contents insurance. Perhaps you can add it as an extra item just for the purposes of your trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now