Talk

Advanced search

Egypt, sharm el sheik, hot enough in february?

(7 Posts)
Onthebeach Fri 14-Aug-09 10:56:43

we are thinking of going to Egypt next feb half term, but don't want to spend out lots of money and find its not hot enough, don't need it really hot, just nice to have it pleasent to be able to sit in sun, has anyone been in Feb?
Also has anyone managed to vist Egypt without getting an upset stomach!?

shangrila Fri 14-Aug-09 11:12:49

We did this a number of years ago. It was nicely hot by day, swam in a cool-ish pool etc etc. BUT the nights did have a tendency to be chilly and at the beginning (20 Feb or so), we needed cardis or jackets when out for our evening meal. Interestingly, it warmed up by night by the end of the holiday - early/mid March.

It was a fantastic holiday - made all the more special for the fact that DD was conceived there grin.

Food was awful though, probably the worst I've ever had on holiday. We found a handful of restaurants which we liked but a whole load of duds. Hotel food was pretty typical, international fare. On the plus side, neither of us had a dodgy tum.

I'd recommend it as a really relaxing, accessible midwinter break with no hesitation.

ZZZenAgain Fri 14-Aug-09 11:12:52

won't be hot, maybe 19/20° hard to say. Presumably you want to swim so I would definitely make sure the place you are going has heated pools. If they aren't heated, they'll be FREEZING. Will be chilly at night.

We were there in April and it was not fantastically hot, just pleasantly so most of the time.

ZZZenAgain Fri 14-Aug-09 11:13:38

Oh sorry, other thing you asked - we have been to Egypt twice and none of us have ever been ill from the food.

shangrila Fri 14-Aug-09 11:54:49

Ha! ZZZenAgain - you've just taken me back!
Yes, perhaps 'cool' in terms of the pool was a bit enthusiastic. I remember jumping in and getting a bit of a shock each day.

Didn't stop me doing my 50 lengths a day though. <preens in a Rebecca Addlington-esque top-notch swmimmer sort of way> wink

ZZZenAgain Sat 15-Aug-09 13:05:50

LOL I was thinking you were made of sterner stuff than me!

Onthebeach, if you're going with dc (presumably), keep in mind there are a lot of jellyfish in the sea there. My dd got stung and had a nasty allergic reaction to it and we had to get a doctor in. So if you're thinking of them snorkelling etc, a nice warmish suit that covers arms and legs would be a good idea. Have to warn them to watch the hands of course, the feet are pretty much covered by the flippers.

copycat Sat 15-Aug-09 22:25:45

We were in Sharm this February (from 14 - 22). It was not quite warm enough for me to enjoy the pools/waterslides etc but sunbathing was just about okay most of the time. I do recall wearing a top over my bikini sometimes though but I am a complete wimp and hate being cold! The DCs didn't complain and were in the pools all day. The evenings were cool. We have also been to Hurghada in February and the weather was definitely warmer than Sharm. Have been to Egypt three times (including Luxor and Cairo) and have never had an upset tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now