Talk

Advanced search

15 hour stop over in Abu Dhabi with a 4 year old - is this insane?

(9 Posts)
angelene Sun 09-Aug-09 19:31:25

I have never travelled longhaul before and we are going to Australia next year for BIL's wedding. A flight has come up with a 15 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi. DD will be 4 and a half.

What does one do on a stop over of this length? Are there facilities or do you have to just hang around attempting to entertain a busy child whose favourite current phrase seems to be "It's taking a loooong time"?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

nancy75 Sun 09-Aug-09 19:35:36

what time is the stop over? book into a hotel and sleep would be my advice.

angelene Sun 09-Aug-09 19:43:54

It says 07.40 - 22.35, not sure whether that's UK time or not.

nancy75 Sun 09-Aug-09 19:48:42

flight times are usually local time, so you are there during the day , however i would still consider getting room, shutting curtains and trying to sleep, even if you cant sleep your dd probably will. i have never been to abu dhabi airport but i'm willing to bet there wont be enough there to keep a 4 year old entertained for 15 hours!

beaniebaby25 Sun 09-Aug-09 19:57:00

I've been to Abu Dhabi airport - it's pretty small and only one set of toilets from memory. I think you'd need to sort a hotel...

rosbif Mon 10-Aug-09 06:22:03

It is a tiny airport, not at all like Dubai, would echo the book a room recommendation...

angelene Mon 10-Aug-09 10:59:37

Thanks all, we'll see what we can do.

It's a difference of more than £600 overall on the flights at the moment so it's significant.

I'm so clueless with it all - never been longhaul and DD has only ever been on a flight to Majorca before. I've got very little idea what to expect!

Starmummy Mon 10-Aug-09 12:56:04

I would get a beach pass for one of the hotels like Hilton Abu Dhabi. Plenty of sunbeds and shade, relaxation, food, entertainment. Just turn up and pay. AED Arab Emirate Dirhams (about 6 to 1 GBP). Just get the money from the ATM inside the airport.

There is nothing at Abu Dhabi airport at all.

angelene Mon 10-Aug-09 15:15:42

Huge excitement! We've found a flight that's slightly cheaper shock with just a 2.5 hour stopover, which I think is manageable.

I will no doubt be back next year for tips on how to deal with a 24 hour flight with a four year old....

Thanks again for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now