Talk

Advanced search

Car Seats in Plane Hold - what should we pack them in to protect them ?

(13 Posts)
Feelingforty Sat 08-Aug-09 14:02:58

we are off to the US next week & have decided to take our car seats. One is a maxi cosi & the other is the maxi cosi rodi high back booster.

I'm worried about them getting damaged in the hold, so what is the best way to wrap or protect them ? (we'll be using them in the taxi to the airport too)

lljkk Sat 08-Aug-09 19:53:12

I don't know about packing, but are you sure they'll be legal for wherever you're going? Doesn't each State have it's own regs?

Geocentric Sat 08-Aug-09 20:08:15

Are you hiring a car? If so, the rental company can probably also rent you the car seats. Less of a headache...

thrifty Sat 08-Aug-09 20:19:17

kiddicare do a carseat carry bag. doesnt offer much protection,but keeps it all together iyswim. we got one to take the seat to france with easyjet it was fine.

thrifty Sat 08-Aug-09 20:20:20

the bags are quite big, if your booster comes to bits you might be able to get both seats in one bag.

poppy34 Sat 08-Aug-09 20:30:45

We put bubble wrap round it and then put a hippo bag round it(big thick plastic thing you get in fit shops) that we bound with ties

MollieO Sat 08-Aug-09 20:32:48

The kiddicare bag is huge and fab. When we used to travel with it we got the airline to label it fragile which gave added protection.

We have wrapped ours in two black bin bags before with no problems.

Feelingforty Mon 10-Aug-09 17:18:24

thanks - someone posted a link about whether the seats would be ok - we are going to Florida. Also if we don't take our hi back booster, dd1 will only get a booster seat cushion, which won't be as safe, IMO.

I've seen the kiddicare bags, but was worried about lack of padding. I think we need to find some bubble wrap then. Good point about labeling fragile.

What's the Hippo bag & what is a fit shop ?

atigercametotea Mon 10-Aug-09 21:46:24

you need to wrap it in something clear/see through to allow customs and more importantly luggage handlers see what it is. Chances are they are less likely to be rough with a car seat in clear wrapping than with 'something' tied in a black bin bag.

Personally I wouldn't bother taking them - you prob paid quite a bit for them and don't want them lost/trashed.

I would hire car seats for one day (from airport to hotel) and then parents go to walmart and buy cheapish safe ones (and clean) - still cheaper than several weeks hirewink

Feelingforty Tue 11-Aug-09 10:21:26

good point - the car seat hire is very expensive. If we did hire just for the day, would we have to go back to the airport to drop them off ?

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 11-Aug-09 10:32:53

We've always used bin liners for the maxi cosi. Does get a bit ripped, but the seat hasn't been damaged.

for 4yo, we've just taken the bottom bit of his seat and he's been fine. That fits in the case.

atigercametotea Thu 13-Aug-09 19:34:17

yes you prob would have to return it the next day (but by then, your children would be in their new car seats).

Or you could ask if they have another local place you could return the car seat to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now