Talk

Advanced search

Can I use our UK car seat in USA?

(21 Posts)
pinkem Thu 30-Jul-09 22:02:22

Will our UK car seat be ok to use in Florida, or will we have to get a USA approved seat?

Mimsy2000 Thu 30-Jul-09 22:04:55

they fit; we have two - why would you need a 'usa approved' one'?

only reason i'd see to use an american one is so you don't have to lug yours around the airport

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 30-Jul-09 22:10:31

Message withdrawn

pinkem Thu 30-Jul-09 22:14:27

In the UK your car seat must conform to United Nations Regulation R44.03, I didn't know whether America has has different regulations your car seat has to conform to.

I wanted to find out before we go so the hire company can't con us into thinking we can't use ours and we would have to hire one of theirs!!

pinkem Thu 30-Jul-09 22:15:47

Thanks StewieGriffinsMom I will check.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 30-Jul-09 22:19:25

Message withdrawn

EldonAve Thu 30-Jul-09 22:24:01

not been to florida but we always take our own
the likelihood of getting a ticket for an illegal seat is slim to none

EldonAve Thu 30-Jul-09 22:26:33

some info

pinkem Fri 31-Jul-09 19:47:46

Thank You EldonAve

oldraver Fri 31-Jul-09 21:21:37

Crikey the laws vary so much state to state and Florida seems the most lax

Charliebean Mon 03-Aug-09 22:10:56

We just got back from Florida on sunday and we took our car seat with us our for DD (they put it in the hold with the buggy as you board the plane) but ended up hiring a local one as it didn't fit the hire car properly. We tried strapping it in but it was really wobbly and then the guy that worked at the hire car company tried to fit it for us but it just wobbled all over the place so we decided to hire a local one which clipped on the car (similar to Isofix) and also strapped in with the seatbelt. It was much more secure. We ended up just lugging our one from home around with us for nothing.

pinkem Mon 10-Aug-09 22:13:57

Thanks Charliebean, that is something to keep in mind.

lljkk Tue 11-Aug-09 05:18:38

What is a tether strap?

Isn't it quite dear to hire a carseat with the car? I think it may work out cheaper to hire seat for just a few days and go BUY a new seat for yourself.

BertieBotts Tue 11-Aug-09 07:02:44

Info on tether straps and LATCH (like ISOFIX)

www.car-safety.org/latch.html

BertieBotts Tue 11-Aug-09 11:39:57

lljkk is right I think

pinkem Tue 11-Aug-09 21:22:50

It will cost us £70 to hire a seat for two weeks, i have seen lots of bad reports on hiring a car seat and that is why we were looking at taking ours. We have discussed buying one when we get there but i don't want the hassle of going back and forth to the hire company, i think we have decided to take ours. Thank you to everybody who replyed.

vinblanc Thu 13-Aug-09 16:33:22

We always take our own car seats as you could buy them several times over if you were to pay car hire fees.

Technically, you should have a car seat that has be positively approved by the local state. In reality, most car seats are fairly international brandwise, so there is little to worry about. The police are not looking to pull over tourists with foreign car seats.

inscotland Sat 15-Aug-09 11:55:08

but they may invalidate your insurance if you have an accident.

KnickKnack Sat 15-Aug-09 12:00:00

Which car seat do you have? Perhaps its a brand that is widely available (and approved) in Florida.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 16-Aug-09 16:11:26

I'd pay the £70. Your other problem as well is that your UK car seat may not actually fit into the US hire car.

Have seen too many seats get mauled about by the baggage handlers as well; I would not be taking these to FL.

pinkem Mon 17-Aug-09 20:16:07

We have the Maxi Cosi Tobi, we now know that it will definately fit in the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now