Talk

Advanced search

Me and my flying phobia

(27 Posts)
hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:09:33

We are due to fly to Canada on 15 August. Already I am dreading it. The recent air crash (Brazilian airlines???) over the Atlantic has made it worse. A teenage girl survived by clinging on to some floating wreckage for several hours. This is dreadful (not that she survived but what it implies) - this means that other passengers survived the impact but then drowned or were devoured by passing sharks. It would be more comforting to think that you die instantaneously on impact.

I don't fear for me it is my children...imagine, if you will....you crash land. Your children either slowly lapse into unconciousness due to hypothermia, are picked off by a Great white with much blood letting, or are swept away by a wave in front of your very eyes. So your children have died horribly, you have watched helplessly and are also on your way out. How bad can it get?

Dh thinks I am certifiable, but I can't help it.

Yes, you are more likely to get killed crossing the road - but give me crossing the road any time.

I know we could, whilst driving down the motorway, be involved in a massive pile up - but I don't give it a second thought.

But I hate, hate, hate flying. I really hate it. I would gladly never fly again.

sad

Dh keeps pushing me to go on these fucking holidays

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:10:35

Drugs

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:12:01

Is there something better than beta blockers? (last time)

littlerach Tue 28-Jul-09 21:14:06

My sister gets valium i think.
Another friend gets some other drug.

Go and see your GP.

Oh, and I hate it too and only just manage.
We're not going abroad this year - phew.

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:14:32

yes. Chat to dh about it and tell him you'd be happier if you knew you could be knocked out quickly if need be then go and tell the doctor that grin.

I think, the problem with a fear of flying is that you will never be able to fly enough to get rid of it (like you would with other fears - i.e. do it lots and feel better).

So go for the drug effect. They can give you something else to make you relax. I forget what they are called but beta blockers didn't do it for me either and you can get something stronger but you need to be prepared to feel very sleepy then.

littlerach Tue 28-Jul-09 21:15:02

Diazapan I htink it was.

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:16:01

Do you have similar fears and horrible imagined scenarios Littlerach?

lilacpink Tue 28-Jul-09 21:16:23

Valium was great for my DH, he could fully function, but just felt relaxed. He took it a few days before both flights. He was a lot calmer than me

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:17:04

GP it is then - and I will admit GP to the dark inner recesses of my troubled mind.

Flying is just so bloody unnatural

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:18:13

valium = diazepam

I imagine they would try you on valium next. Seriously, if it's a situational fear like this and something that doesn't happen often, it's worth trying it!

littlerach Tue 28-Jul-09 21:19:14

God I have worst case sceanrios about all sorts smile

We went on a ferry last year - panic attack in the car waiting to get off as I was freaking out that "something" would happen.

Dh knows what I am like, and is v v good about it.

It only started when I had children - prior ot hat I loved flying, and had no qualms.

My ILs used ot live in USA and that was rather awful as we obvioulsy had to fly to visit them.

Get the drugs!!

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:19:17

Ok - am not averse to diazepam / valium. Hope it works!

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:19:47

Mine started post children too!

littlerach Tue 28-Jul-09 21:19:50

Thanks Fox!

littlerach Tue 28-Jul-09 21:21:18

Oh I could also tell you about my friend's irrational fear that she would trip over the bottom of the stairgate and fall down the stairs, breaking her neck, then her boys would come to the edge of the stairs and she would be unable to stop them from falling too.

She had hundreds of fears like that. We now laugh about it (7 years on).

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:21:44

I never liked flying pre kids but it definitely got worse after having them arrghh!

(same with fairground rides etc. I used to love them beforehand, now I feel totally middle aged at the thought of going anywhere near them!)

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:22:46

Oddly I can do fairground rides. It's just a single issue paralysing fear atm!

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:22:51

lol litterach

oh and they seem so rational at the time!

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:23:58

It's nice to be amongst other loons grin

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:24:10

hmc at your single issue fear

you see, you are doing SO much better than the rest of us!

foxinsocks Tue 28-Jul-09 21:24:59

let us know how the GP goes. I already feel angsty for you and hope you get drugs grin

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:25:11

Gee, thanks grin

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 21:25:46

Will do. Am sure GP will be sympathetic.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 29-Jul-09 07:37:20

hmc,

Many people are afraid of flying. Why not also look into doing a "fear of flying course" that are run by some airlines. This will help you with your anxiety over flying.

Your fears whilst understandable are actually illogical.

I would not be looking into using valium at all but doing something like the above instead. That will have longer lasting effects. You need to properly address this otherwise this anxiety could pervade into other areas of your life as well.

hmc Fri 31-Jul-09 16:00:24

Just seen this - thanks attila, that's certainly a thought. I shall google and see if there are any accessible courses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now