Talk

Advanced search

What's travelling in South Africa like for a mixed-race family?

(11 Posts)
franch Thu 16-Jul-09 22:24:35

We've more or less decided to go next Easter and are not that worried but would be interested to hear of others' experiences. Any no-go areas?

Kiwinyc Sun 19-Jul-09 17:42:10

we are mixed-race but likely not the races you're concerned about (Chinese/British). Anyway, we did only go to Cape Town and thereabouts but encountered nothing but friendliness. Wonderful place to visit imo and so easy with no jet lag.

blahdiblahblah Sun 19-Jul-09 17:48:11

It will be absolutely no problem!
There are many mixed race families here anyway.
There would probably be a few raised eyebrows in some backward places, but TBH they are not the places you would go as a holiday maker.

Cape Town is especially wonderful and the people are welcoming and Easter is the BEST time of year to be here, so you have made a great choice!
If you want any ideas of places to go let me know

franch Sun 19-Jul-09 22:32:56

Thanks kiwi and blah.

Yes please, all ideas gratefully received blah

blahdiblahblah Mon 20-Jul-09 18:39:16

I presume you will be spending time in Cape Town?
I started writing you a list but it has got ridiculously long, perhaps give me your e-mail and I can send it to you!

franch Mon 20-Jul-09 21:26:14

Ooh that'd be wonderful blah. Can you be contacted via Contact a Mumsnetter? I don't have an email address that I can share here.

blahdiblahblah Mon 20-Jul-09 22:52:50

I haven't done CAT...
Don't worry, I will just post here, people don't need to read it if they don't want!

blahdiblahblah Mon 20-Jul-09 22:57:14

Must do's:

1- Table mountain - you should do this on the first clear and non windy day as it can get very windy here. Allow a few hours for walking and enjoying the incredible view. There is a basic restuarant and bar up there but you can also take a picnic. Nice to also time it for sunset.

2- Do a day trip (need to set out pretty early though as lots to pack in - although you could send a night in one of the towns if you wanted) to Kalk Bay (have fish and chips for lunch), Muizenberg (browse the antique shops) and then to Boulder's beach where there is a penguin colony - they walk right up past you on the beach it is so beautiful and the kids will LOVE it. After that drive on to Simon's Town which is a quaint naval town. Then on to Cape Point which is where you can see the 2 oceans meet. It is also a National Park so lots of walking and cycling routes. Apparently there is an amazing place that you can stay at there on a remote beach, I can find out the details for you if you want?
Also in that area is an ostrich farm if the kids are interested!

3- The beaches! Camp's bay is the touristy but gorgeous beach. Lots of bars and restuarants and a great vibey spot for sundowners. Local's go to Clifton 4th (next beach along from Camp's bay), another spot for sundowners: take a bottle of wine.
Llundudno beach is the best beach to go to watch the sun go down. Also no shops or anything so take your own snacks and drinks. Water is freezing tho sadly.

4- Franschoek. It is a wine area about 45 mins drive from CT. Very French as you can tell by the name, and also the gourmet capital of SA,many goregous places to eat as well as wine farms. Go for wine tastings which is lots of fun.

5- Fairview winefarm (on the way to Franschoek) has wine and cheese tasting and is lovely.

6 - The biscuit mill - a food and clothing market on Saturday mornings. Kids clothes, young designers and awesome food!

7 - V&A Waterfront - a big shopping mall as well as restuarants. Boat rides, etc etc. There is an aquarium there too which is fun for the kids.

8 - if you want to go somewhere for a leisurely lunch whilst the kids blow off steam try Deer Park Cafe in the city bowl. Large enclosed outdoor playground and great cafe

9- Die Strandloper - open air sea food restaurant on the beach - about an hour up the West Coast from CT, in Langebaan

10 - Bloubergstrand - large white beach with the post card view of the mountain. There is an Italian restaurant called Primi Piatti which also has a great sunset view, but cater for kids, with a kids area where they can make their own pizza shapes.

let me know if you need anything else!

PDR Sun 26-Jul-09 12:13:31

The aquarium in CPT is also nice

We are also a mixed race (white british/black african) family and have never had any problems in Africa (South Africa, Kenya, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia...)

Have a lovely time!

franch Tue 28-Jul-09 14:36:37

Just spotted your message - thanks PDR. That's good to know. Wasn't really worried then just started to have doubts!

SkaterGrrrrl Sat 01-Aug-09 18:00:17

I think you'll be fine. South Africa has been democratic for 15 years now and is very friendly.

Also, my (white) friend went there recently with her (black) boyfriend) and they had no problems, they loved it out there!

Have a good trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now