Talk

Advanced search

Have you had a fabulous holiday beyond Europe at Easter? Please tell me about it.

(10 Posts)
franch Fri 10-Jul-09 21:55:10

Please see this thread. (Didn't get much response so trying a different title )

flockwallpaper Sat 11-Jul-09 00:28:08

Okay I know they are technically part of Europe, but the Canary Islands are nice over Easter, flights are only about 4hours long. I love the lesser known islands such as El Hierro, but they are harder to get to, no direct flights from the UK, so haven't been back since we had children. The classic Brit favorite destinations such as Tenerife are fine if you hire a car and get away from the main tourist areas - last time we hired a villa in the mountains, but I believe there are some nice boutique hotels too.

This year we are looking at going back to Turkey for this Easter, it is so beautiful and the standard of accommodation is very good.

Hope you have a good time wherever you end up.

franch Sat 11-Jul-09 20:05:18

Thanks flock - we have thought a bit about the Canaries. Where's good in Turkey?

flockwallpaper Sat 11-Jul-09 22:10:13

We stayed near Fetheiye the first time around, by the Kayakoy ghost village. see photos(not mine). This is halfway between Fetheiye with its market and waterfront restauarants, and Oludeniz, which has some reasonable restaurants and shops, and a lovely beach. One section of beach has a lagoon behind it and you have to pay to get onto this side, but it is very nice. There are good smaller beaches too. DH and I like walking and there is a 500K coastal trail that starts near there, the Lycean way, although now we have a toddler, I'm not sure we will get to do much of that!

Dalaman airport is the closest to this area. There are quite a few nice places to stay - for example have a look at thisThere is a lot of choice of accommodation in Ovacik and Hisaronu if you look on the net - these places are closer to the beach at Oludeniz but I remember them as a sprawl of ugly new builds and not much character - but could probably get a bargain if you were happy to use your hotel just for sleeping and lounging by the pool, and hire a car or take a bus to the beach.

I think staying in Olu deniz would be okay outside of high season. There is a mega resort with loads of entertainment for children (yes we are tempted - if DS is happy then it is more relaxing for us!! but it is a bit pricey) called Lykia World, Olu Deniz. Sorry can't get the link to that hotel to work at the moment.

franch Mon 13-Jul-09 10:21:35

Thanks for all the info flock, that's really helpful

flockwallpaper Mon 13-Jul-09 14:10:00

No probs, hope you have a good time wherever you end up

franch Mon 13-Jul-09 17:31:33

Thanks

daisysue2 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:55:54

Two favourite holidays are Thailand at Easter, it's very quiet. Also Grenada as far as I am concerned the best of the Caribbean islands. Cheap flights with Monarch or you can fly BA and Virgin. Fantastic offers all over. We stayed at a great villa called Fushi they have a website and got a great deal at Easter.

franch Thu 16-Jul-09 18:13:00

Definitely fancy Thailand, daisysue - loved it pre-kids. Where have you been with kids?

I expect we'll make it to Grenada one day daisysue but as we have family connections in Jamaica we'll mostly end up there when we go to the Caribbean.

daisysue2 Wed 29-Jul-09 14:57:16

In Thailand we stayed everywhere. But good places were Long Island Resort beachfront rooms in Ko Samui. Also Lamai Villas in Ko Samui both in same area. Lamai Villas have their own pool. Did a trip last Easter with the children Started in Phuket, went on to Phi Phi stayed at the Zeovola, then on to Ko Lanta, Relax Bay, then onto Ko Hai and cant remember the name of place but the snorkling there is amazing. Then as a special treat stayed at the Rayavedi in Karabi. Thailand is easy to travel with children and they love it. Get the 9pm flight the kids sleep all the way and you arrive at your room just in time for a little dinner and bed so don't have to worry about staying up all day with tired kids. Also the kids then sleep in late each morning so it's easier to take them out late at night for dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now