Talk

Advanced search

Driving offence (fixed penalty) - does t his affect entry into usa?

(10 Posts)
pacinofan Tue 07-Jul-09 18:09:09

DH received notification that he has apparently ignored a traffic light signal approx 10 days ago. I am assuming this results in a fixed penalty and 3 points on licence (he has no other convictions).

My worry is, does this affect his ability to go on holiday to the USA? We are due to go to Florida in 3 weeks, I am sitting here having kittens and silently cursing him!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 07-Jul-09 21:36:18

This traffic offense should not affect his entry into the US. You should only be more concerned if he was arrested at the time and or charged.

pacinofan Wed 08-Jul-09 08:10:41

Thank you for that. No arrest/charged, it is a straightforward offence caught on camera. We have never had any traffic offences before and I was quite shocked and upset yesterday to see the paperwork, it's very formal and I've been worried!

bellavita Wed 08-Jul-09 08:14:30

I had a fixed penalty speeding fine and 3 points and it did not affect our holiday to the US last year (even though I was the main driver on our holiday).

scienceteacher Wed 08-Jul-09 21:02:14

It is not a crime of moral turpitude so it should not affect his entry into the USA.

DadInsteadofMum Thu 09-Jul-09 15:26:22

I have often wondered exactly what moral turpitude is - and have been tempted to put "not yet" on the form.

However, bounce in and out of the states on a semi-regular basis and have never even thought of declaring my ever varying number of points and nothing has ever come of it.

scienceteacher Thu 09-Jul-09 16:37:54

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

As you can see, a minor traffic violation is not a CMT.

DadInsteadofMum Fri 10-Jul-09 12:08:42

See now I have an explanation moral turpitude doesn't sound like nearly as much fun as it used to.

midnightexpress Fri 10-Jul-09 12:17:40

Oh, I don't know. Lewdness and mayhem sound kinda fun.

midnightexpress Fri 10-Jul-09 12:18:45

...though I hadn't read on to find that mayhem, strictly speaking involves the 'wanton removal of a body part'. Who knew?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now