Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bonkers to even attempt this?

(9 Posts)
HeadFairy Mon 06-Jul-09 17:26:14

My mum and dad have a timeshare in St Lucia for the last two weeks in Jan... I due dc2 on 27th December, though due to medical reasons may well end up having cs the week before Christmas.

I'm happy about travelling with a young 'un, we went to their place in St Lucia when ds was 4 months old, I'm more concerned about travelling 4 weeks after a cs... and is it even possible to get a passport for dc2 in that time, bearing in mind we may well get him/her registered before Christmas, but probably won't get the passport application off until between Christmas and New Year. Also, can you book a plane ticket for an as yet unborn child? He/she won't be having a seat...

It's the logistics that throw me more than anything, I'd love to go though, would be a lovely post birth, post Christmas holiday.

mumoverseas Mon 06-Jul-09 18:41:14

Hi,
congratulations on your pregnancy.
Yes, you can book a flight for a baby for an unborn child. We did it earlier this year as we went away at Easter when DS was 8 weeks old and we'd booked the flights last October. (with Emirates so other airlines may vary) We just had to phone up and confirm his full name and DOB when born.

I would however warn that you may be pushing it to get a passport within 4 weeks, particularly over the xmas/new year break. Also, if you are going to have a CS that could potentially be a problem. I had a CS and my gp said that they wouldn't advise flying before 6 weeks. You will be more at risk of a DVT so would need to make sure you kept very active on the flight.
Hope this doesn't put you off, just trying to be practical. Good luck

HeadFairy Tue 07-Jul-09 11:20:49

Thanks for that mumoverseas.... I'll have to check with the gp and midwives. They'll probably say it's not adviseable, I know it's probably not likely we can go, but it would be nice if we could.

EightiesChick Tue 07-Jul-09 13:10:49

The passport issue can be resolved in less than 4 weeks by making an appointment to do it as a Fast Track application. Costs £81 and you have to go to a passport office, so that may not be convenient for you, but it will work time wise and is available for first time passports for children. I had my appointment last Wednesday and DS's passport arrived on the Saturday!

HeadFairy Tue 07-Jul-09 14:08:17

oh that's handy to know eightieschick... doesn't rule it out completely then!

PestoMonster Tue 07-Jul-09 14:42:11

You'll probably find your insurance has a disclaimer if you travel prior to your 6 week check-up.

HeadFairy Tue 07-Jul-09 14:50:39

And it would be dreadfully wrong of me to have my cs at 38 weeks so I'd be travelling after my six week check wouldn't it? OK I didn't really say that

squeaver Tue 07-Jul-09 14:53:39

Yes I was going to say about the insurance too.

Also, you really will not know how you feel by then.

I did my first (domestic) flight with dd when she was six weeks and it was fine. That was after a c-section too but it was a short flight.

HeadFairy Tue 07-Jul-09 14:58:13

I would be flying with dh and my parents so it will be possible to offload all the luggage and stress on to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now