Talk

Advanced search

Flying Qantas with baby too big for bassinet..

(9 Posts)
missmelly Thu 02-Jul-09 12:47:09

our little one will most likely be heavier than their max weight of llkgs, and is almost too tall now for the bassinet.
This will be my first flight with a baby, so can anyone tell me if I should still ask to be seated at the bulkhead even if we cant use the bassinet? or has anyone's baby been bigger than the airline's specifications (The weight limit is 11kg (25lbs). The bassinet size is 71cm x 31cm (28in x 12in). The depth is approximately 26cm (10.5in) and still used it?

We are flying London to Bangkok, then Bangkok to Sydney

thanks

mumoverseas Thu 02-Jul-09 21:21:38

I'd still request bulkhead seats as it sounds like it is borderline as to whether your baby will be too big/heavy. Even if a bit too long, maybe your little one could still at least sit in it, if only when you are eating.
It will also give you a bit more space that you obviously wouldn't have in 'normal' seats

missmelly Thu 02-Jul-09 22:16:29

thanks for your reply, that does sound like the best thing to do,
cheers

inscotland Sat 04-Jul-09 10:15:20

Not sure I'd ask for bulkhead seats as the arm rests don't lift but that would mean paying for a seat (which we intend doing with our 1 year old). He was borderline for the bassinet on Qantas when he was 8 months old.

NoHotAshes Sat 04-Jul-09 10:36:02

Definitely request bulkhead seats as it will be a nightmare having him on your lap otherwise.

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jul-09 10:43:22

We went to australia last year on BA/Qantas - hadn't checked the size of the bassinet (DS 10mo) so requested it for the leg to Bangkok but he was too tall - so for the second leg we had the "car-seat" type thing which is much better. You still need bulkhead seats for it as it stands on the same drop-down table that the bassinet would but it is much better for bigger babies. It has a recline function if the baby goes to sleep.

We were actually on a BA plane - do Qantas not offer the same option on the plane? We didn't know about the choice until we got onto the plane. Maybe you should ring Qantas and ask if they have an option of a reclining baby seat as opposed to a bassinet.

If they do, you would still need to request a bassinet with your tickets, and bulkhead seats.

zuzkah Sat 04-Jul-09 20:32:53

I guess your tickets are bought already? ...
Singapore airline's bassinet have a limit of 14kg. We flew with our 18months old who is bigger for his age and was definitely taller. We requested a bassinet and it was a blessing. Even though he was taller and JUST fitted in there he slept there with his legs bended a bit BUT slept!
The bulkhead seats are very good, you have some space for your little one to sit and move a bit on the floor and for your stuff.
Good luck!

missmelly Sun 05-Jul-09 11:24:49

thanks for your replies, I'll def give Qantas a call and see what they say. I find sometimes that their reservations staff are not always that knowledgeable though.
I have a feeling we are on Qantas planes, so might not get the option thumbwitch did on the BA plane.

thanks ladies, will try for the bulkhead i think

mum2009 Fri 17-Jul-09 09:46:45

Hi,does anyone know the airport proceedures regarding pushchairs? i am assuming i can take the pushchair through security and the airline takes it just before boarding.I'm flying with BA first time with a 3 month old.Any advice/experience is welcome.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now