Talk

Advanced search

NEW YORK - recommendations for restaurant to have my wedding dinner

(20 Posts)
Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 17:21:42

I'm getting married in New York on 25th August. We've oranised it all ourselves and have about 10 mates plus DS (3) and DD (10m) coming out with us. I'm looking for somewhere really nice to have the dinner post the ceremony. Does anyone have any suggestions - not bothered if it's a private room or in a main restaurant.

thighsmadeofcheddar Tue 30-Jun-09 17:28:31

I thought the River Cafe was really nice in Brooklyn. Looking back over the skyline in the city.
We had a lovely meal there one xmas day.

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 21:21:47

Thanks Cheddar. Bump for any more ideas.

cocolepew Tue 30-Jun-09 21:24:21

I'm going to NY on Thursday, but most of my eating will be done in McDonalds grin

Have a lovely time.

NorkyButNice Tue 30-Jun-09 21:50:11

Ahhhh Congratulations - I'm jealous!

My last meal in NY before we moved back to the UK was at Landmarc in Tribeca - fantastic steaks but they also do burgers and other things.

If you want to really blow the budget then my all time favourite fine dining restaurant is Gramercy Tavern - the main restaurant bit is very expensive but incredible, but there's the tavern part on the front which is more casual dining and equally yummy. They don't normally take reservations for the tavern but may make exceptions for wedding parties!

One completely random option for you for a wedding meal, but my all time number one place to eat out in New York (as my waistline testified 2.5 years later!) - Itzocan Bistro which is an incredible French/Mexican fusion restaurant. Seriously. Everyone who goes to NY should go there. Completely out of the way, and the most amazing food...I sat next to Miranda from SATC in there once, and it only seats about 20 people! (sleb spot alert!).

If you know what kind of food you want I can narrow down some more places for you!

squeaver Tue 30-Jun-09 21:56:58

Cafe des Artists

Agree - Gramercy Tavern

Waverly Inn

Union Square Cafe

Agree - River Cafe

oranges Tue 30-Jun-09 21:57:12

The Tavern on the Green in Central Park does good food, and you couldn't get a more New York location. Lovely gardens too to sit outside.

http://www.tavernonthegreen.com/

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 21:59:00

Norky I've already contacted Gramercy and they can't fit us in sad.

And have contacted Landmarc and they can fit us in but just looking for other options. Will check into the French/Mexican place.

Have you heard of somewhere called Revel? IT's been recommended and looks lovely but reviews are a bit mixed.

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 22:02:15

Not sure what kind of food but needs to be suitable for the kids too. Japanese probably out. I guess I'm looking for something yummy, maybe a bit eclectic. Not very helpful am I?

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 22:03:42

Oh and I'm getting married in Trieca so somewhere close-ish would be good.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 30-Jun-09 22:07:00

agree with cafe des artistes. or ouest.

squeaver Tue 30-Jun-09 22:07:23

You should deffo try Union Square Cafe.

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 22:15:58

Ha Tibeca even blush

NorkyButNice Tue 30-Jun-09 22:17:24

The French/Mexican is nowhere near Tribeca unfortunately - it's up at 101st St (walking distance from my old apartment on the Upper East Side which is how we found it).

Landmarc really is great food and service - it was a fitting end to our eating out experiences in Manhattan grin So if you do end up there then you've got nothing to worry about at all.

Shame about Gramercy - I thought they only opened their reservation book a month beforehand though? (or were you asking about the front area?).

squeaver Tue 30-Jun-09 22:18:09

Or even Tribeca??? grin

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 22:20:14

Aaargh what is wrong with me. Tribeca Tribeca Tribeca! blush blush blush

Sunshinemummy Tue 30-Jun-09 22:24:19

Norky just sent a random e-mail and got one back saying they couldn't fit us in on that night. Although have just re-reviewed the e-mail and it's a turn down for July 25th not August! Have rewritten to see if I have more luck.

No luck at Union Square Cafe - they can't seat a party our size.

Sunshinemummy Wed 01-Jul-09 08:56:56

Bump again for anymore.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 01-Jul-09 09:03:25

Carmine's is not posh in any way but is a big Italian family restaurant - the food was lovely the last time I was there - portions are very large though, one meal is enough for 2 extremely greedy people - their bottles of house red were 1.5 litres.

It was noisy and had lots of children eating with their families, the waiters were very attentive to the children.

It's just a nice family/couples/big groups place - I love it so much.

We went to the one on the upper west side though there are one or two more I think.

link here, there are 4 restaurants

meadow6 Wed 01-Jul-09 19:06:17

When I got married in NY, we had lunch in the Boat House in central park. Lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now