Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Australia and UK carseats?

(9 Posts)
zuzkah Mon 22-Jun-09 12:37:34

Hi ladies,
not sure Im on the right topic here but figured I sure could find some knowledgeable Aussie/English person here who could help?
We are in process of moving to Oz. I wonder, do UK carseats comply with the Aussie law? I want to bring our Maxi-Cosi Cabrio infant capsule and Maxi-Cosi Tobi forward facing carseat but not sure if they are ok for Australia? Please help! Thanks

Kiwinyc Mon 22-Jun-09 13:17:03

Strictly speaking UK car seats are not compliant with the carseat laws in Australia (or NZ) because they utilise a 3-point tether system (in that the headrest area is also attached to the car) whereas in the UK/Europe its just two. (Either side of the seat in the base in the case of isofix, or with the car seatbelt)

However i don't know whether or not you'd get into trouble for using a non-compliant car seat on a permanent basis I suspect its fine if you're on holiday but it might invalidate car insurance or something so maybe not worth taking the risk.

zuzkah Mon 22-Jun-09 13:29:50

Thank kiwinyc. Not good news but Id rather know than not. So good bye our car seats!

Kiwinyc Mon 22-Jun-09 16:10:22

its probably worth posting the same question on the Living Overseas forum or an expat forum like britishexpats.com to get the lowdown from people that have actually done it... this is what i was told but in practice it might differ!

zuzkah Mon 22-Jun-09 20:23:56

Thanks a lot for the tips, I didn't think of that! I did some more research and found all the relevant info from a government website. The seat needs to be approved by Australian law and have their mark. If not, it's illegal. So that is it. Im selling them.

inscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 21:57:21

Was just going to confirm same to you. We've looked into it too for moving next month. It doesn't comply and could invalidate your insurance. Pain in the arse for me because I didn't check before shelling out £200 on a new one 8 weeks ago!

zuzkah Tue 23-Jun-09 20:41:07

inscotland - that's pain, isn't it? I'm trying to avoid this. Thanks for your reply and good luck with the moving! Where about may I ask?

inscotland Wed 24-Jun-09 13:51:25

Hi

Perth at the end of July. You? So much to organise my head is spinning!

zuzkah Wed 24-Jun-09 20:24:59

Perth sounds lovely. We are moving to Hervey Bay, Queensland. What shipping company are you using? I can't yet begin to imagine how much organising it will involve? If you have some spare time feel like throwing a few pieces of advice... As I said, best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now