Talk

Advanced search

5 days in queensland. Any recommendations?

(14 Posts)
dragonseye Mon 15-Jun-09 21:46:01

Im soooo excited i might wee myself!! Going to visit friends who live in Sydney in April next year for a month. We've decided to all take a holiday to Queensland together for about 5 days. Ive been researching and googling for days but it all looks so beautiful that im confusing myself!

Can anyone recommend the one place we just cant miss (there will be 4 adults and 3 kids aged 7, 3 and 3)

Thanks in advance

GrapefruitMoon Mon 15-Jun-09 21:56:36

I probably loved Cape Tribulation the most but this was pre-kids so not sure how child friendly it is. If you want to see as much as possible maybe stay in Cairns and then you can do day trips to the reef and the rainforest?

liath Mon 15-Jun-09 22:00:22

Fraser Island? Although I don't know whether it'd be as much fun for the kids. Noosa would be family friendly & is one of my all time favourite places. Or somewhere like Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays.

JRocks Mon 15-Jun-09 22:02:35

My favourite part was Fraser Island, you can get safari trips there quite cheaply, or I believe there's accomodation on the island too. It really was beautiful, and as long as you respect the wildlife I don't think they should pose a threat to the DC.

Or sailing the whitsundays? I loved that too!

Have a wonderful time, am very envy

JRocks Mon 15-Jun-09 22:03:27

oops, took so long to type have x posted with liath

JRocks Mon 15-Jun-09 22:05:15

I went on a day trip to Australia Zoo from the sunshine coast (we were staying in Maroochydore at the time) - it's a bit tourist-tastic but might be fun for the children?

liath Mon 15-Jun-09 22:07:52

Great minds think alike JRocks grin.

There's a couple of places to stay on Fraser Island, we styaed at Kingfisher Bay once or twice and have also camped.

I want to go back......

JRocks Tue 16-Jun-09 12:32:06

grin me too - I think perhaps camping on fraser island with a newborn and a three year old might just fray my nerves slightly though - but I definitely would take the DCs eventually.

dragonseye Tue 16-Jun-09 18:42:35

thank you for all your suggestions so far! Bumping again..

Kiwinyc Wed 17-Jun-09 18:02:19

Have stayed in Noosa, Fraser Island and Cairns and would recommend Cairns (or Port Douglas, north of Cairns) or Noosa with kids.

Otherwise, the Whitsundays, if you have lots of dosh. Course theres always Surfers Paradise (LOTS to do there with kids) I have friends from NZ that holiday there quite often cos its easy.

mumoverseas Fri 19-Jun-09 15:42:44

agree with suggestions of Cape Tribulation, Whitsundays and Fraser Island although I woudln't stay the night there with the DC's. Be careful ref mozzies and sandflys though, I was there in April one year and got eaten alive

naomi80 Sat 18-Jul-09 23:21:21

I'm an Aussie living in Scotland, from Brisbane, my suggestion would be the sunshine coast.

This where we have always holidayed in Coloundra. Family friendly and lots to do, Australia Zoo, beaches, big pineapple, underwater world, so on. Generally Noosa is more expensive but Coloundra and Maroochydore are better price wise. You can fly into Brisbane and drive north -about an hour- or fly into Maroochydore.

Cairns and Townsville is really great to, I lived up there for a year, but being much further north it will cost more to get there.
Hope this is of some help, please feel free to ask any other questions I'm more then willing to help if I can.

ShrimpOnTheBarbie Sun 19-Jul-09 00:47:10

Hi! Very exciting! I live on the Sunshine Coast - near Noosa - and it is very beautiful, relaxing and suitable for young children. Climate in April is lovely and there are usually great fairs from Sydney to Maroochydore (usually a lot cheaper than to Brisbane, for some reason).

Australia Zoo, Eumundi markets, Noosa main beach and the national park, a day trip (or an overnighter) to Fraser Island, boating, fishing, shopping, great restaurants etc - so many things to do. The north is also fantastic, though - but more expensive to fly to and some of the attractions are perhaps more couple than family friendly.

ShrimpOnTheBarbie Sun 19-Jul-09 00:48:16

'fares' that would be blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now