Talk

Advanced search

Any tips or recommendations for three weeks in Costa Rica/Central America?

(3 Posts)
Heath999 Tue 09-Jun-09 15:23:00

After much indecision and procrastination we are off to Costa Rica in two week's time. DP and DS (2yrs) are very excited while I am more at the panicked end of the scale! I will also be 21 weeks pregnant and whilst I flew long haul quite a bit for work when pregnant the first time around, I am really not looking forward to it this time.

I would be very grateful for any tips/recommendations/advice from anyone who has been to Costa Rica/Central America with a young kid before. Is it easy to get disposable nappies, is the milk safe enough for my son to drink, is it worth taking a buggy or a car-seat, etc??? We are going to try the budget/hostel approach to accommodation and travel and while we do have a plan of the places that we want to get around to, we don't have a fixed itinerary worked out. We will arrange our first few night's accommodation before we get there.

On the whole we are really looking forward to an exotic holiday, as we don't really anticipate having one for the next few years... I just have to get over the logistical nightmare I have built up in my mind! grin Anyone done it already?

TheShipsCat Tue 09-Jun-09 15:36:01

I went to Costa Rica while pregnant with dd1. There are a lot of Americans there, and families, so I would imagine it is really easy to get nappies, milk etc - US brands anyway. It is a pretty easy place to travel round - again, as there are so many Americans there.
We recently went to Colombia with dd1( 3) and dd2 (10 months) and it was fine - not dissimilar to CR. You could get more or less everything, milk was fine, (and even the water when dd1 managed to get to some low tap to drink out of before I could stop her)... Costa Rica I'd say is a bit more developed, so you'll be fine.
Why not ask on Lonely Planet thorn tree thread?

Personally, I think you have nothing to worry about, so just enjoy!

Heath999 Wed 10-Jun-09 12:42:14

Thanks ShipsCat - that is really reassuring! Have checked out the FAQs for Central America on Thorntree - very useful. Now I just need to figure out how to pack light with a two year old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now