Talk

Advanced search

Zanzibar - Malaria and Yellow Fever

(8 Posts)
Blackduck Mon 08-Jun-09 13:10:03

Dp wants to go to Zanzibar this summer. My issue is that I see it is a high risk malaria area (and we had enough problems getting ds to take his medicine when we went to Goa). In addition there seems to be conflicting info on Yellow fever. So has anyone been recently/got advice? and should we?? or is Mauritius a better bet..

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 08-Jun-09 14:23:28

This is current FCO advice for Tanzania:-

www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/tanzani a

It also gives advice re the Yellow Fever innoculation certificate.

Why does he want to go to Zanzibar - does he have family in Tanzania or Zanzibar?.

Personally I'd be looking to travel somewhere else that is malaria free. It only takes one infected mosquito bite after all to contract malaria and it is very serious.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 08-Jun-09 14:28:27

Would also check the FCO's website regarding up to date travel advice on Mauritius.

Mauritius's cyclone season as well runs from October to May.

Blackduck Mon 08-Jun-09 16:46:42

thanks...nope he isn't from there - just fancies it....and it is apparently beautiful...

Blackduck Mon 08-Jun-09 18:10:16

BUMP - anyone??

infin Mon 08-Jun-09 22:20:59

It is indeed very beautiful! Stone Town is great to mooch around and the beaches are gorgeous. I would personally avoid Nungwi and head to the more laid back beaches on the East coast.
I seem to remember that a Yellow Fever jab was mandatory for entry to Tanzania.
Malaria protection absolutely essential here and this is from someone who only takes malarial prophylactics in Africa and uses the cover up/repellent strategy in most of Asia.

Blackduck Tue 09-Jun-09 06:43:51

Thansk infin...
I think my main concern is ds. If it was just dp and I then it would be a different story, but as I said we had hell in Goa and he was only having to have a spoon of liquid a WEEK! And this can't be used in Zanzibar as it isn't the right drug. Maybe he's just a bit too young still to understand it. Hum, Mauritius may be a better bet..

PDR Mon 29-Jun-09 13:02:45

Blackduck

Are you are still thinking about going to TZ?

My LO (12.5 months) just had yellow fever jab for Kenya with no ill effects at all. He didn't even cry when the nurse did it.

As for malaria prophylactics, depending on how old your son is (ours is too young, well too light anyway) he can take malerone paediactric (sp?) on a private perscription from the GP which is taken in tablet form or crushed if he's very young (in a bit of yoghurt/jam etc). They need to weigh over 11kg to take this and it's not as expensive as the adult version.

Zanzibar is a great holiday destination and we would definately take DS there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now