Talk

Advanced search

Come and talk to me about Florida (disney) with a 2 and 4 yr old and a villa...

(55 Posts)
shhhh Wed 27-May-09 10:26:35

Anyone stayed in a VILLA in Florida.?
We think it may be a better option for the 2 of us and it seems a cheaper option atm (Hotels/flights on package hols are coming out at around £6k..!)

I need Villa suggestions..I know MN had an advert for places to stay that were child friendly but can't find it now...
I would ideally like somewhere nice and modern BUT child friendly (baby gates etc) as I worry about pools etc.

Also is now a good time to go with ds being 2 and dd 4..? Just if we wait till next yr baby 3 may be here or on route iykimw..(which will then put us back another 2 years..)

Also needs to be august as dh's self employed and his contract comes to an end then, also dd is having school taster sessions and there's none in august..

any advice is appreciated.

BTW, its been suggested not to cut back on the flights due to length of fight and space...

IotasCat Wed 27-May-09 10:31:58

Honestly I would wait a few years until the children are older.

We first took the kids when they were 3 and 5 which was ok but it has been easier/more fun when they were 5 and 7 and 7 and 9

IotasCat Wed 27-May-09 10:33:07

And august will be stonkingly hot

IotasCat Wed 27-May-09 10:35:12

And would definitely have a villa/apartment rather than a hotel

PortBlacksandResident Wed 27-May-09 10:40:10

<lurks>

I'm we're taking our two (8&6) for the first time this August - the heat does worry me but it was the only time we could go.

We are staying in a villa - any other advice also gratefully received.

ramonaquimby Wed 27-May-09 10:42:37

I think 2 and 4 is too young for big theme parks, save your money for when they are older and can appreciate it! would be hard work, you'd need 2 buggies for starters......

shhhh Wed 27-May-09 10:44:31

Thanks iotas, thing is we are both now dead set on going this year...
its been a hard year for us so far with illness, dh working lots etc so I guess we want a nice family hol and disney seems magical and ideal...

so anyone got a villa reccomendations..?

IotasCat Wed 27-May-09 10:47:59

Well shhh you did ask if now was a good time......

spicemonster Wed 27-May-09 10:53:20

I really wouldn't do it - will be a total waste of money taking children that age as well as hideously hot. Why don't you go somewhere else nice instead? Go to a Mark Warner holiday in Turkey or something?

shhhh Wed 27-May-09 10:58:05

Iotas,im not doubting your advice but thinking about it just feel we would want to do it now....
Just wanted to see what peoples views and options were and pointers for travelling with kids at ages now...
as I said, all advice is appreciated and taken on board..who knows, we may turn around and decide not to do it BUT im not stopping this thread on the basis that some views are not to do it..hmm

also want a special hol for dd before she starts school...

ellingwoman Wed 27-May-09 10:58:10

Honestly it won't be magical. The queues for the rides that your children will want to go on are twice as long as adult rides. The water parks will be fantastic but unless you spend all your time there I think you need to wait. A villa is the best option for a family of 5 so wait a few years!

April was lovely, August will be nightmarishly hot with small children.

Portofino Wed 27-May-09 11:12:34

I wouldn't do it either. We went to Walibi (belgian theme park) on Sunday with 5 yo dd. This place is NO Disney but it was 28 degrees and queuing was MURDER! We went home early as dd started to feel ill. That was for one afternoon. The thought of 2 weeks makes me shudder.

Kids that little just need a nice sandy beach and a bucket and spade. Honestly! Maybe a Merry Go Round.

HSMM Wed 27-May-09 11:13:35

I've been there several times. Nearly all the villas have alarms on the door which leads to the pool, because they are very safety conscious about them. I would DEFINITELY NOT go in August. You will all have heat stroke. We went in April once and it was hot. October is storm time, so probably best to avoid then. We normally go around Christmas, or Jan and usually get weather warm enough to wear T shirts and get a tan. My DD is aged 9 now and enjoys it much more now than she did when she was a toddler. When she was little she couldn't go on loads of the rides, didn't like waiting for an hour to see Minnie Mouse and got tired of all the walking (take a cheap pushchair if you go). She did love the villa and the pool though.

Hope this helps.

shhhh Wed 27-May-09 11:20:34

hmm..seems like the general decision/advice is not to go...

Portofino Wed 27-May-09 11:23:35

I really would wait a few years, and then go in the winter. Can you not do a couple of days at Disneyland Paris and then head on to Italy or the South of France? Sounds like you have a reasonable budget so should be able to get something nice with a pool.

shhhh Wed 27-May-09 11:27:21

i thought about disneyland paris portofino following this thread BUT tbh haven't heard good things about it..mainly about the weather. its meant to be the opposite to usa and very similar to uk..

Heard stories of quesing in the rain etc and having been to disneyworld before have been told its a let down in comparison ..?

ellingwoman Wed 27-May-09 11:31:10

How about the Great Universal theme park in Spain? Can't think what the name is but - short flight, beaches, theme park/water park, hotels etc. AND good weather

Portofino Wed 27-May-09 11:53:06

Portaventura

WorkInProgress Wed 27-May-09 12:11:39

We went to Florida with a 2 and 4 year old and had the best holiday ever. We stayed in a self catering complex and it was fine, although when we went back last year we did opt for a villa (don't go for one too far out or you'll spend all your time driving). The first time we went we only did 2 parks (magic kingdom and islands of adventure the best two for little ones I think) and the rest was day trips to parks or the beach ( a long drive to clearwater but worth it) or lazing by the pool. However we went in June and it was hot but not unbearable, not been in August but have been told it is very hot. So I would say definately Ok to take kids that young, but do rethink timing. Hope you have a great holiday whatever you decide.

meadow6 Wed 27-May-09 12:53:25

We have been to florida with our 4 for past years. This year they will be 10,8,3 and 18months. We have never failed to have the most fantastic holiday. We always go the last 3 weeks in July. Yes, it is very hot but so far we have never had a problem with the heat. We just pace ourselves, drink lots of water, take in lots of shows etc. The kids never moan about it. (I do!) We do lots of planning before we go with regards to what we will be doing each day. We have only ever stayed in a villa and wouldn't do it any other way. They are amazing value for money, clean,spacious and have a pool which is one of the most exciting things as far as kids are concerned. All pools have a safety fence that you can put round them, plus doors out to pool and usually alarmed.
If you go for a villa try to get within 10mins drive from disney. I find this helps after a long day at the parks. Emerald Island is very close so would recommend here. We are staying at Seasons this year, a little further out but I like the area.
If your heart is set on going then you will have a fab time. Read some books as you get loads of tips on how to tackle the parks with small children. Also look at Dibb website. Or ask me lots of questions.

bellavita Wed 27-May-09 13:12:12

Believe me, the queues will be horrendous (be prepared to wait 90 mins plus) and it will be blazing hot...

We have been 3 years in a row at different times, I would say May is the best time to go or in October (not been in this month but have friends who have).

I would also second what meadow said, with pacing yourselves, drinking lots and do something inside in the hottest part of the day.

It is MumOverseas that has a villa to rent in Florida.

bellavita Wed 27-May-09 13:32:46

I have copied and pasted this from another thread -

It has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a private pool and games room and all the usual mod cons plus tv's in all bedrooms.
It is 4 miles from Disney and around 20 mins drive to Seaworld, Universal etc.

If you are interested you can either book direct through me (I do own it, honestly) or if you would feel happier/more secure, you can book through the management company who are managed/owned by an english lady called Yvonne.
Her website is www.loyaltyusa.com She manages around 40 homes and mine is minnies mansion
If you are interested and want more info you can email me at ursula.woods@hotmail.com

Hulababy Wed 27-May-09 13:33:24

You'll have a great time IMO.

We have taken DD twice, First year she was 2y4m and second time 4y2m. We are going again this summer when she will be 7y3m. On both previous occassions she had a ball, as did we.

There is tons to do with younger children.

It will be hot but you spend so much time in air conditioned areas or water fan areas you don;t notice it so much. We have been in July and August and DD never had any problems with the heat at all.

We have done villas previously and it was great. Having our own pool was the big draw.

But expect a busy busy holiday, We did parks every day pretty much. DD just never stopped. She wanted to be getting into the parks constantly and loved the rides.

We have also never found the flights a problem. When she was younger DD slept most of the flights. Never experienced any jet lag on the way out, and on the return home it was sorted with one long sleep the first day.

We are excited about this year's trip already

Hulababy Wed 27-May-09 13:35:07

Oh and we never found the queues that bad. Never queued more than an hour. We found the queues at Florida half thoe in Disneyland Paris.

shhhh Wed 27-May-09 13:37:48

so where do you get your villas from bellavita and meadow..?

Mumoverseas...thanks for that will CAT her or track her down somehow.smile.

Im not keen on the temp or queues etc but guess we will have no choice due to school hols and dh's job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now